Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Owen
      Participant

Hi all- We’re getting to the point in my wife’s condition where we’re starting to prepare for her life in a wheelchair. A big part of that is going to be making some modifications to our home (primarily access into the house, and changing the layout somewhat of our lower floor). We’ve found a few good contractors, have received some quotes, and now we’re left wondering, how are we going to pay for this?

Does anyone have suggestions for financial support? I know there are a handful of grant making ALS non-profits, but any specific recommendations or first-hand accounts would be appreciated. I also have no idea what’s available if anything at the federal and state level (we’re in Maryland), so any thoughts there would be great too. Thanks!

Chuck Kroeger
      Participant

Some churchs have groups that build ramps and they love to do it. They built two for me, one with a $250 grant and then I paid for the other one.  Worth making some call .

Dagmar
      Keymaster

That’s a great suggestion Chuck!

Cate
      Participant

Check with your local ALSA chapter–they should have lots of suggestions. In Mass., our chapter works with a ramp company that gives pALS 50% off. We were able to make up the rest through local ALS grants, leaving us with a bill of $195 (on a $7,000 ramp). A cousin graciously sent us a check for $195 for the balance, though we could have paid it. Check with Compassionate Care ALS (if they have that in MD), too.

In Massachusetts, the state offers a home improvement loan program for making ADA-compliant improvements. It’s a very low interest rate, you can borrow up to $40k, and you don’t have to pay back the loan until you sell the house. Perhaps MD has something similar.

Good luck!

Owen
      Participant

Thanks Chuck! Anyone have any experience with any of the orgs listed here? https://iamals.org/encyclopedia-of-als-organizations/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account