ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Financial resources for home modifications

• Financial resources for home modifications

Posted by owen on May 12, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Hi all- We’re getting to the point in my wife’s condition where we’re starting to prepare for her life in a wheelchair. A big part of that is going to be making some modifications to our home (primarily access into the house, and changing the layout somewhat of our lower floor). We’ve found a few good contractors, have received some quotes, and now we’re left wondering, how are we going to pay for this?

Does anyone have suggestions for financial support? I know there are a handful of grant making ALS non-profits, but any specific recommendations or first-hand accounts would be appreciated. I also have no idea what’s available if anything at the federal and state level (we’re in Maryland), so any thoughts there would be great too. Thanks!

cateprato replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • chuck-kroeger

May 15, 2020 at 12:17 am

Some churchs have groups that build ramps and they love to do it. They built two for me, one with a $250 grant and then I paid for the other one.  Worth making some call .

• Dagmar

May 15, 2020 at 5:10 pm

That’s a great suggestion Chuck!

• cateprato

May 19, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Check with your local ALSA chapter–they should have lots of suggestions. In Mass., our chapter works with a ramp company that gives pALS 50% off. We were able to make up the rest through local ALS grants, leaving us with a bill of $195 (on a $7,000 ramp). A cousin graciously sent us a check for $195 for the balance, though we could have paid it. Check with Compassionate Care ALS (if they have that in MD), too.

In Massachusetts, the state offers a home improvement loan program for making ADA-compliant improvements. It’s a very low interest rate, you can borrow up to $40k, and you don’t have to pay back the loan until you sell the house. Perhaps MD has something similar.

Good luck!

• owen

May 19, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Chuck! Anyone have any experience with any of the orgs listed here? https://iamals.org/encyclopedia-of-als-organizations/