• Handicapped accessible – – or, not?

Posted by Dagmar on January 21, 2020 at 7:05 am

Whenever public facilities claim that they are handicapped accessible, I’ve learned to be cautiously optimistic.

A few years ago, following a disappointing stay in a motel room advertised as being handicapped accessible, we bought a portable grab bar. It’s a lightweight, yet strong plastic pipe with suction cups that adhere to any flat surface.

The portable grab bar worked great on our next trip and we even use it at home in the guest bathroom.

And, there’s been times I’ve scootered into a public restroom into what seemed like a normal handicap accessible stall – but ended up having to do my best Spider-Man moves just to get in and out.

I shared one experience in my column, “My Success with Grab Bar Acrobatics”

Have you had similar challenges with handicapped accessible facilities? How did you fare? Share your stories and solutions with us.

Tomoko Zemman replied 4 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Tomoko Zemman

January 21, 2020 at 5:37 pm

I usually get a wheelchair accessible hotel room, but started bringing my own portable shower stool which collapses to a six-inch-diameter x two-inch-high disc in case they are not equipped with a shower bench. The grab bar sounds like a great addition. I will check in to it.