• Posted by frank-benincasa on July 7, 2021 at 11:01 am

I went to a Neuro doc last week, having bulbar symptoms (swallowing, breathing, speech, saliva, etc. along with twitches, cramps and stiffness) and his physical exam was normal. He sent me for an EMG which I did this morning and that was normal. Doc doing test said that he just checks the limbs on the order for the right side of the body and everything, using electrodes and needles checked out ok. He gave me a physical also with the reflexes.  He noticed the fasiculations and the terrible cramp I had when he pressed against my foot but offered no advice except for me to speak with Neuro doc who ordered the test. Can you have bulbar symptoms with a perfect EMG? If so, any suggestions on what I should say to the doc who ordered the test when he calls me with the results.

Deleted User replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 7, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Neg results in EMG/NCV is a good sign, but with cramps and visible fasciculations, you probably will need to redo it in 3-6 months. They should do it on limbs where your symptoms are. As a general rule of thumb, the EMG will identify damaged motor neurons, so normal results would indicate a benign condition. I got 7 EMGs before my final diagnosis, so understand that the wait and see tactic is pretty common with ALS diagnosis.

Bulbar would in from the neck up, plus breathing/diaphragm symptoms. Try magnesium supplements for the cramps.

ALS News Today has a fairly decent overview of the diagnostic info for ALS.