ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ How do you deal with criticism about your caregiving skills?

• How do you deal with criticism about your caregiving skills?

Posted by Dagmar on March 9, 2023 at 1:01 am

ALS caregivers know that their pALS appreciate them. Family and friends appreciate the job ALS caregivers do as well. But sometimes, someone will make a critical remark or a negative comment about your skill, how you do things… whatever. And the comment hurts.

Caregivers, what kind of negative remarks have you experienced, and how did you deal with them?

Amanda replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • florence

August 9, 2023 at 12:18 pm

I dont take most of it personally.I do that so that i can maintain a neutral heart of care which does not vacillate because of what was done to me. I also use high sense of forgiveness. It gets worse as the disease progresses , so i just make a personal commitment to hang around and guge them space to handle what they are going through becauseof disease. I dont add up to be a factor of focus. I support them to walk ahead. I somwtines confess my pain to them to make them aware. Other moments i dont get chance to air it out. My understanding is that they are experiencing emotional turmoil and a caregiver may be the only wall to let it out to. So i manage to comeback to a spirit of care understanding that what happend to me from them may have been an act of emotional release more than an abuse intententionally directed to me. I quietly forgive a lot.

• Amanda

August 14, 2023 at 7:27 am

Florence,

You have a beautiful and loving heart.  It takes a special person to be able to see things and put them into perspective, especially under that kind of stress. We are fortunate to have you on the forums.

Amand