ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS How to respond when someone greets you with “How are you doing?”

• How to respond when someone greets you with “How are you doing?”

Posted by Dagmar on April 24, 2023 at 12:13 pm

One of our forum members is interested in suggestions on this topic. He shared with me that his neighbor who has Parkinson’s and he both loathe this question— because the honest answer is, ”Not fine.” But people who ask that question don’t want to hear that. His neighbor responds with “Compared to what?”

What are your suggestions? How do you answer the question, ”How are you doing?”

Christina Birdsong replied 1 year ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies
  • Christina Birdsong

April 25, 2023 at 2:30 pm

Likewise, while I appreciate getting cards, those that are “Get well” cards are problematic.  Perhaps my friend doesn’t know what ALS is. I choose to just appreciate that they thought me. I think it has helped that people can be referred to Caring Bridge, where what’s going on with me can be found, and I invite questions. The more people that know about ALS the better.  Be a light. Perhaps you can answer truthfully and let the other person actually hear you, knowng that some will not.

I know it is hard. Stay strong.

Chris

• Shae

April 26, 2023 at 8:40 am

My husband despises that question. He is always gracious, & answers with, “Well, I woke up today & with my wife’s assistance, I was able to take a good morning piss & with my wife’s assistance, I made it back to my loft chair. It’s a good day, man. How are you, friend.” It’s blunt, yet honest.

• Lisa Brown

April 26, 2023 at 8:41 am

It is hard to lie.  I usually cry and say not to ask when they know I’ve got MND.   If they don’t know then I say “I’m fine”