ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics Ketamine in The Treatment of ALS

Tagged: ,

• Christine Moretti

March 3, 2021 at 8:07 am

Hi Richard, I was intrigued when I read your post. One, I think it further illustrates how vital biomarkers are in ALS as it seems most trials stress the importance of early intervention, although this study does indicate late stage use as you said.

The other thing that struck me was the drug itself.  I am wondering what type of side effects, sedation, hallucinations, etc.  patients would experience. After looking it up online, ketamine sure sounds like an intense drug.

Always with an open mind, I hope for success for this drug. I am all for research of any kind and orphan drugs are a good target.

Thanks for sharing.

• Chuck Kroeger

March 3, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Ketamine, PrimeC, NU9,  nurown… So many things come out that sound promising that turn out to be less than effective.  Its hard to get excited when you read about the newest wonder drug.  Can only hope and pray that one of them  will actually work the  way the initial experiments say it can

• Jim

March 9, 2021 at 4:02 am

Yes, Ketamine is a very serious drug. It’s very clean feeling, very, very hallucinogenic and can have out of body experiences! Some of these trials are ridiculous, like the researchers are just trying any substance. Hope these trials don’t cost too much money! Doesn’t seem like ketamine would slow any ALS progression, But Not sure how Ketamine works on a cellular level with Neurons. There for sure would be lots of freaking out!

• Cindy Puskar

March 9, 2021 at 8:23 pm

I was given ketamine once during an MRI and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.  Horrible hallucinations.

• Jim Conner

August 9, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Lordy when I read Ketamine for ALS my spine shivered. I used Ketamine with Rompin (sic) to tranquilize bears. We tried it on elk and moose and probably killed the critters the day after we released them due to spiking blood pressure. Keep that crap as far away from me as possible. Yuck.