ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS More conversations about fitness and ALS

• More conversations about fitness and ALS

Posted by Amanda on January 28, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Should a pALS workout? That seems to be an ongoing topic on the forum and in the field of ALS research. As many pALS have expressed on the forum, each person’s journey with ALS is unique. What works for one, may or may not work for another. Another common thought seems to be, working out is good but a pALS should not work out to the point of exhaustion. As with all medical conditions, do your research before starting a new work out routine. Work closely with your medical team (including PT) to determine what your goals are and how best to achieve them. Exercise can be good not just for the body, but for the mind and spirit as well.

Have you discussed exercising with your medical team? What were their recommendations? Did you work out prior to your diagnoses of ALS? What are you goals?

Share your information, thoughts and questions here.

Check out this article comparing the types of work out for pALS. https://alsnewstoday.com/2019/11/07/exercise-slows-motor-neuron-loss-in-als-mice-but-type-key-study-suggests/  What do you think about this article?

Bill replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Bill

January 30, 2020 at 7:09 pm

I did stop “working out” when I was diagnosed. Frankly the warnings from the PTs seemed to discourage. I got rid of my heavy  weights and switched to much lighter band work routines focusing on big movements and flexibility. A little more strength focus on nonALS muscles. I’ve gotten little advice but what I do I think works for me.