ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Practical Solutions to Everyday Problems

• Practical Solutions to Everyday Problems

Posted by Dagmar on April 8, 2019 at 7:54 pm

This topic was suggested by one of our forum members:

“Let’s share practical solutions to everyday simple or complicated problems. In every stage of ALS progression we all encounter challenges that we sometimes solve with easy solutions.

For example, if you can still floss your teeth but it’s getting more difficult. One forum member found a small flossing head that can be inserted on a long handle – – it fits better in her hand. (I happen to use one as well – – they are called “reusable or refillable floss holder” and can be found at the drugstore or on Amazon)

What solutions have you used? We appreciate learning from each other.

Dagmar replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dagmar

April 10, 2019 at 6:29 pm

File this one under: “A Gal Still Wants to Look Good!” 🙂

I don’t know if it’s a generational-thing or just my pride; but I can’t imagine going out-and-about without first putting on a little lipstick. If it’s a social meet-up, I add make-up. But now living with ALS, I’ve had to make adjustments.

My fumble-fingers can’t handle traditional lipstick tubes with their snap-caps and twist up tubes. Liquid foundation creates a mess and tiny eye brushes cause hand cramps. Here’s my new normal solution:

Cosmetic companies now offer many versions of their line in fat, easy-to-hold, twist up containers. Foundation? Try L’Oreal Infallible solid in a tube that can be applied directly to the face. Blush comes in the same type of applicator. Maybelline offers eyeliners in “magic marker” looking containers (try their Master Kajal). Lips? I use the Neutrogena Color Sticks. They are easy to hold, apply and any “near-misses” can be wiped right off.

Of course, you’ll find your own favorite brands – – but check these out as examples of a practical solution to everyday problems. 🙂

I’d love to learn from you too! What do you use?

• Nina

April 15, 2019 at 12:24 pm

I don’t have a solution but I’m looking for one. My legs are getting weaker (as expected) and I am having some difficulty transferring to the commode. But the really hard part is getting my pants up and down. Is there any clever tool that helps with this? I can still pull them up with one hand with effort but I’m starting to feel a little wobbly when I do that. Obviously I’m in elastic waist bands entirely.

Or maybe it’s just time to have my husband help me in the bathroom. 🙁

• Dagmar

April 15, 2019 at 12:38 pm

Nina – – I hope some forum members do chime in. Wearing pants is so convenient (and part of our generation!) but I know that this issue has forced other pALS to transition to wearing dresses; making it easier for you/or your husband/helper to assist you. Here in warm Arizona that wouldn’t be a problem, but in northern areas with cooler temperatures I know some pALS wear thigh-high thick stockings as well; to keep their legs covered and warm.

Anyone with experience here and tips to share?