ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics Prediction of Survival in ALS – Study Recently Published

• Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic

April 18, 2021 at 3:08 pm

I was surprised (I am not an English native speaker) that age would be a strong predictor of ALS survivals.
    I have read countless studies that state the opposite.
    It turns out that in this article they found an inverse correlation:

Dividing the ALS cohort by age, the median survival time was 40.2 months for younger (age < 65.2 years) as compared with 25.9 months for older patients (age ≥ 65.2 years).

What is also surprising is that they did not check for patients’ weight. In other studies weight (and age) are both in inverse correlation with survival in ALS.
    There are many studies that found that the best BMI is 27, especially for women.

Yet another thing is that they made their calculation on 90 pALS. In the PRO-ACT database there are data about around 10,000 pALS (I studied it).

Weight is so important in ALS that on my web site (padiracinnovation dot org) there is a calorie calculator for pALS. It uses the Kasarskis formula.

Estimating daily energy expenditure in individuals with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Edward J Kasarskis, Marta S Mendiondo, Dwight E Matthews, Hiroshi Mitsumoto, Rup Tandan, Zachary Simmons, Mark B Bromberg, Richard J Kryscio, for the ALS Nutrition/NIPPV Study Group

Jean-Pierre