ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices Awareness and Advocacy Quilting for ALS Awareness

• Quilting for ALS Awareness

Posted by Amanda on January 2, 2020 at 9:18 pm

My 74 year old mother drove from Maryland to Southwest Florida to visit me. I’m lucky that she stays a while and she is teaching me how to quilt. ALS runs down my paternal side and my parents divorced prior to my father and his sisters getting ALS. My mom is aware that I have the genetic mutation and she usually comes to visit when I need to go away for a few days for testing. She is supportive of my committment to ALS research  and she finds ways to pitch in on her limited income. She came across an article in a quilting magazine and brought it to me saying she wanted to make several quilts. The quilts are donated either to raise money or to a pALS.  Her enthusiam about wanting to do something to help warmed my heart. She is now working on several quilts to donate.

The article also made me stop and think just how important everyone’s contribution is regardless of the size, amount or kind of support. For more information about this project check out this link http://www.primitivequiltsandprojects.com/hopes-and-dreams-quilt-challenge-for-als/

What ALS fundraisers or awareness projects have you come across?  Have you or your family contributed?

Dagmar replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dagmar

January 6, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Amanda, What a wonderful ALS awareness raising project! Bravo to your mother for discovering it 🙂 I hope others will join in!

I love unique projects like this one that go beyond the standard walk-a-thon (that are still great at raising $$$).

Let’s see if anyone knows of other unique ALS awareness (or fund) raising projects, and will share them here.

And…if you make a quilt, please share a photo (I’ll help post them) 🙂