ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Stomach Bloating

Tagged: 

• Eric Jensen

November 17, 2022 at 2:09 pm

My ST noticed that my lip seal and head positioning, were the cause of my bloating. Since I adjusted my eating and drinking, I have little bloating. I also eat smaller, more frequent meals.

• Sonsu

November 17, 2022 at 2:11 pm

What is ST?

• Eric Jensen

November 17, 2022 at 2:15 pm

Speech Therapist

• Sonsu

November 17, 2022 at 2:18 pm

Not sure what lip seal means? Is there anything particular she suggested about head position

Thanks

• Kathleen B (Katie)

November 17, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Interesting about head position—what is proper for a person with ALS?
    I did learn (on my own) that eating more frequent & smaller meals made me feel better—but I stumbled upon that because I am supposed to be getting 2200 calories a day to maintain weight—and I simply found it impossible to do that in 3 meals! (I was never a snack person, just well balanced food groups diet to get the job done & move on with other interests!) However, I also learned from primary care Dr. that lack of GOOD gut bacteria can cause bloating & distention( & bowel issues) so she did some tests and things improved once I started on what she recommended as a specific probiotic. Every little bit helps on this ALS journey—but we need to keep asking questions and learning from each other too!

• Eric Jensen

November 17, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Head looking down, is the best esophageal position. I make a tight lip seal and swallow.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 18, 2022 at 7:11 am
  • Kathleen B (Katie)

November 23, 2022 at 8:25 am

Thank you Eric. I don’t work with a speech therapist yet, but preventing choking IS on my list of ‘be aware of’ during mealtimes, so I will start being aware of the head position you learned is best.