ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Summer Activities

• diana-belland

May 20, 2019 at 9:30 am

I enjoyed running for 35 years until I had to have arthroscopic meniscus surgery on my right knee in 2014.  But I continued with hiking, walking, cycling on bike trails and gardening.   After I had my spine fusion surgery in March, 2018,  I wasn’t able to ride a bike or garden, but I did do short hikes with my right foot AFO and a pair of Nordic trekking poles.  Last summer, we spent two weeks in Cornwall, England, and two weeks on the west coast (Connemara) of Ireland.   I already had ALS although no one suspected it.   I used my trekking poles (with rubber tips) to get around in towns and villages and to do short stretches on trails.

What I love most to do in the summer is travel.  We’ve just returned from visiting one of our daughters and her husband who live in Asheville, NC.  I spent three days with my daughter visiting some of the beautiful scenic areas there.  I wore my new AFOs and brought my Drive Nitro rollator and a light transport chair.  I was able to do a trail at the botanical gardens with the rollator.   It felt great to be outside in nature again.  We used the transport chair at the Arboretum so we could cover more ground without my getting too tired.

We have a “bucket list” trip planned—it’s an Alaskan cruise.   We fly to Vancouver May 29 and the cruise is June 1-11.  I’m taking my new Volaris all terrain rollator and we’ve also rented a wheelchair.  I’m a little apprehensive about how I will do, but our oldest daughter,Laura, who is a physician, will be with us on the trip.   In July, we’re going back to Asheville for a week, and we’re contemplating a trip to Portugal in September.   Laura will be there for a friend’s wedding and plans to take her vacation weeks there, and she wants us to join her.    It’s scary to plan that far ahead, but maybe it’s good to have these kinds of goals.

I would love to hear how others are managing travel.   Thanks for posting this question.

• Dagmar

May 21, 2019 at 12:22 pm

In our little town, summertime means slow down and relax. “Snowbirds” or, part-time residents leave for their homes up north. During winter when they’re here, social clubs hold meetings, parking lots are full and there are lots of get-togethers. All that goes on hiatus June – August. Should I mention temperatures go up to 100+ for days on end 😉

This is my time to clean out the closet, dig out unfinished knitting and address all the little stacks of notes surrounding my computer 😉

We do have a trip planned in early September; to Las Vegas for an annual reunion – – of acrobats! My husband and I have belonged to the organization for a long time and this year, I’m receiving a service award for managing their website and social media.

ALS considerations…  Even though it’s in September, we’ve already reserved our room: handicap accessible and on the ground floor. I’ll have my scooter and rollator along. It’s only a 6 hour drive for us – – we used to arrive the same day as the banquet, but now plan to arrive a day ahead to rest up. I also take along several of my breakfast smoothies – – frozen in their travel mugs – – so mornings/breakfast at the hotel will be easier. I can drink them in the room or down at the restaurant. I’m sure I’ll be sharing more about our planning as the date gets closer.

Note: There are some good travel resources and tips in another post in this forum, look for: “Travel Tips and Woes” (April 7).