ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Summer colds and flu – Does your ALS make them worse or about the same?

• Summer colds and flu – Does your ALS make them worse or about the same?

Posted by Dagmar on July 14, 2022 at 11:03 am

Whenever I come down with a summer cold I’ve noticed my ALS has an effect on my symptoms. Pre-ALS, I had the usual chills, coughs, and sore muscles. Now, all those symptoms feel super amplified; especially affecting my swallowing and breathing. Thankfully, some Tylenol and a few days of bed rest do the trick.

Have you noticed any changes in your colds or flu symptoms since you’ve been living with ALS? What are the go-to remedies that help you to feel better and head towards recovery?

Dagmar replied 9 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alan-larrivee

June 20, 2023 at 10:09 am

Have my first ALS/Cold. It does seem amplified. Aches and pains and weakness seem more intense. Can’t cough up anything. I think I will be wearing masks when ever I go out in the public in the future. Not fun.

• Dagmar

June 20, 2023 at 12:56 pm

I agree with you Alan, that ALS seems to amplify cold symptoms. Take time to get over it, and while you do, keep your body gently moving. I found recovery left me feeling as if my ALS was worse, but it was only the set-back of not being active. I wrote a column on this very topic:

https://alsnewstoday.com/columns/turning-inner-critic-coach-live-well-als/

• IBREM

June 21, 2023 at 8:07 am

Hi…new to this game…wife Linda diagnosed with ALS in April…this is good info…she does not need issued of a cold with all the new issues she has…I keep her away from crowds…practice distancing since you know what…always have her use a mask when we have Dr. Appts…etc…and thanks for the info…

• Dagmar

June 21, 2023 at 12:19 pm

I agree with you……. I still wear a face mask when in indoor public spaces.

• diane-pascot

June 21, 2023 at 8:08 am

I’m with you, Dagmar – whether it’s a ‘normal’ illness like a cold or the flu or anything else that slows me down much more than it would have in the past (such as the lumbar puncture I had last week for participation in a clinical trial) – I find myself fearing that my ALS symptoms and energy levels are taking a permanent turn for the worse. But I get back to moving as much as I can as soon as I can – it’s the best thing for my physical and mental health. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights!

• Dagmar

June 21, 2023 at 12:21 pm

I give you my kudos for undergoing a lumbar puncture – – ouch! 😉