ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Thanksgiving 2021

• Jan: CA, pals

November 4, 2021 at 4:25 pm

As of now, I DO NOT have any plans for Thanksgiving. In the past, I have hosted many, many Thanksgiving dinners and believe it is one of the most important days of the year.

Family, friends, laughter, excellent food, etc.,  a special day to be thankful for all the blessings we have… all in all, just the best holiday!  In conversation with friends, when the topic of  favorite meals comes up, I have always said: Thanksgiving… traditional turkey dinner!!! And of course, the left-overs!

So as to my plans…kind of tough when you live alone;  they are the same as last year.  I ordered a take-out Turkey dinner from Denney’s… (for one) it was quite good and will probably do that again this year.

Only one major change: because I can not chew or swallow this year, I will  take the turkey, gravy, veggies and put them in my blender……probably be real good over the mashed potatoes!  Yum!!! That will go down 🙂   See? Lots to be grateful for! No, I don’t feel sorry for myself… however,  just a bit sad. There are many folks, some dead, some in hospitals… that wish/wished they were as blessed as I am.

Well Kathy, glad you asked (1st one to do that) . . . . . . . . .

now I know what I will be doing, yes, I have a plan!

• Marianne Opilla

November 9, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Jan,

That sounds good in blender, then over mashed potatoes.  I’ll try that.  I have diffculty swallowing too.  But I think I can do pumpkin pie.

• Bill

November 4, 2021 at 6:13 pm

For us it will be having family here for dinner. Kids and grandkids. That itself is enough.

• Dee Hagen

November 4, 2021 at 10:20 pm

We’re thankful that we’ll be able to have kids, grandkids and other family at our home for dinner this year. My husband won’t be able to eat much and we’re going to need to figure that out. He doesn’t like to eat in front of people anymore. Regardless, how lucky we are to still be a “whole” family for one more Thanksgiving. Like Jan, my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. Family, food, good wine and plenty of laughs. So thankful!

• Shannon Ward

November 7, 2021 at 10:15 am

Now that my husband cannot eat or speak this year’s Thanksgiving will be low key. I’ll buy some deli turkey for an open face sandwich along with a small batch of cornbread. We will be together and that is enough to be thankful for in itself. We are in our late sixties so we’ve seen and celebrated some wonderful Thanksgiving holidays. We’ll be okay.

• Kathy stitz

November 23, 2021 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for your responses and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.