ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS What A.I. (artificial intelligence) home devices help you live with ALS?

• What A.I. (artificial intelligence) home devices help you live with ALS?

Posted by Dagmar on August 23, 2022 at 1:01 am

During this past decade, A.I. (artificial intelligence) devices have evolved from simply novelty items to essential to our daily lives. Everything from Alexas, to Siris, to even now, has “smart homes” that respond to voice commands and sounds.

Being voice-challenged myself, I initially disliked voice-activated devices. But have invented my own workarounds to relay my commands and have to admit these devices can be helpful. There are devices that respond to motions, like clapping hands to turn lights on and off or waving your hand in front of an “eye” to activate the TV.

What AI devices do you depend on in your home? From your experiences, do you have tips or recommendations for our forum members?

Dagmar replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Dagmar

August 24, 2022 at 12:33 pm

I enjoy listening to music from our Alexa while I’m at my computer… but even though my voice “activates” the device, my speech is too slow and it shuts down before I’m finished speaking. So, I type the command into my computer (on a Word doc.) put the volume on high, and hit the “read aloud” key. This way my computer’s “voice” is recognized by the Alexa and I can have music all afternoon! 🙂

• Beth Rookey

August 26, 2022 at 8:13 am

I have an Echo in my room, hooked to my Bose radio to amplify the sound, and I cannot speak to it. I open a tab on Chrome, open Google Translate, type in what I want and hit the ‘Listen’ speaker icon. If it’s a phrase I’ll use again (Echo… Read notifications), I hit the star icon on the right side & it saves it; click on the star icon in the middle of the page & it will open up the ‘Saved’ phrases. When Echo has a notification, I just find the saved phrase & ‘talk’ to her!

My house is a 50′ ranch, the LR, Kitchen are at the opposite end of my room. I bought a baby monitor, my end is plugged in the wall, my parents have the other piece in the LR, Kitchen. If I need help, I just yell ‘Hey!’ and they’ll come to see what I need. Mom has hearing aides, Dad needs them but if the TV is on, the central built in to the ceiling fan is going – they won’t hear me! I turn my computer speakers up & type into Google Translate that I need them and they hear me, lol!

• Dagmar

August 29, 2022 at 11:24 am

ouuu 🙂 Thank you Beth! I learned something new! I’ll try your method!

• Beth Rookey

August 25, 2022 at 4:18 pm

I have an Echo in my room, hooked to my Bose radio to amplify the sound, and I cannot speak to it. I open a tab on Chrome, open Google Translate, type in what I want and hit the ‘Listen’ speaker icon. If it’s a phrase I’ll use again (Echo… Read notifications), I hit the star icon on the right side & it saves it; click on the star icon in the middle of the page & it will open up the ‘Saved’ phrases. When Echo has a notification, I just find the saved phrase & ‘talk’ to her!

My house is a 50′ ranch, the LR, Kitchen are at the opposite end of my room. I bought a baby monitor, my end is plugged in the wall, my parents have the other piece in the LR, Kitchen. If I need help, I just yell ‘Hey!’ and they’ll come to see what I need. Mom has hearing aides, Dad needs them but if the TV is on, the central built in to the ceiling fan is going – they won’t hear me! I turn my computer speakers up & type into Google Translate that I need them and they hear me, lol!

• Dagmar

August 29, 2022 at 11:27 am

SAVE THE DATE – – Sept 15th

A special online presentation “Home Automation for People Living with ALS”

With the advancement of technology and home automation systems, tasks that were previously difficult for people living with ALS, such as turning the lights on and off in your home, have become much easier. Team Gleason’s mission is to have people living with ALS remain as independent as possible no matter where they are in their ALS journey. Please join us, as Jeff Powers, Program Manager at Team Gleason, will discuss what home automation is, provide suggestions on how to implement current available technology, along with ways that Team Gleason can help assist you with the home automation process. A Q&A will follow the presentation.

More information & to register here:
    https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3769319798887678736?emci=79d8ddc3-4325-ed11-bd6e-281878b914e7&emdi=0b9dade7-1826-ed11-bd6e-281878b914e7&ceid=6647365

• Dagmar

September 7, 2022 at 12:35 pm

Is anyone using voice-activated (or sound-activated) AI to operate curtains, lights, or lock doors? How is it working for you? Would you recommend any?

• Lisa

September 9, 2022 at 7:26 am

My husband who is pretty tech savvy has set me up with the apple Home app and a module on the garage door opener to allow me to open the garage door just using the app…not sure if it can be voice activated.  He also installed an electronic lock, I believe the brand is “August” on the front door deadbolt that I can unlock/lock using an app on my phone.  Those 2 things along with cameras allow me to see who is coming and unlock the front door or open the garage door without leaving my recliner or wheelchair.