ALS News Today Forums Forums In Loving Memory In Memory of My Cousin Bruce

• In Memory of My Cousin Bruce

Posted by Amanda on February 7, 2022 at 9:31 am

Yesterday my cousin Bruce joined my dad in heaven. I’m heartbroken for so many reasons.  Bruce did not have the easiest life here on earth. He was an adventurer, an explorer and an lover of life! He was smart, quick witted and he knew how the world worked. He loved his family with an incomparable passion, especially his daughter. He lived in several states and resided in the Florida Keys for much of his life. He volunteered for ALS research. Yes, Bruce did have ALS and it was progressing.  However, he was also an alcoholic and his liver was failing along with other complications. In my mind I suspect he was ready to let go, and choose to not get treatment.  He had been depressed, understandably for a long time. He was tired. There is so  much more to his story, and likely a great deal that I do not know.  Although I will miss Bruce and I love him dearly, I am glad that he is no longer suffering and in pain.  Rest Easy Dear Cousin, and Fly High In Heaven.

Amanda

Amanda replied 1 year, 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Dagmar

February 7, 2022 at 11:06 am

Amanda, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. That was a beautiful, honest, and from the heart tribute about your cousin Bruce. We all follow our own journey with ALS.

• Romy H

February 10, 2022 at 5:41 pm

Dear Amanda,
      My heartfelt sadness you have lost your cousin Bruce. Although we know our loved ones are at peace and suffer no more, we are left with the pain of their absence. Big hugs and love to you in this latest path of loss. Know that you are not alone and we are all here. I will pray for you and your heart to heal. I reflect on my twin every day and treasure my memories. I hope you can get there too someday and I know its a tough road to travel and one you have been on before. My very best to you at this most difficult time.

• Amanda

May 31, 2022 at 7:47 am

@ Romy,
        That was such a beautiful and heartfelt message. Thank you so much. My “baby” cousin (Bruce’s daughter who is in her early 30s0 reached out to me and let me know that since they did not have a funeral service for Bruce in February, we will be gathering in the Islamorada (The Keys) in August for a celebration of life. There will be a dinner and all of his friends and family are invited. We will gather and share stories in a positive and cheerful setting, the beautiful Florida Keys, where Bruce spent most of his life and he loved it there. I think Bruce is looking down on his beautiful daughter and glowing with pride. She’s amazing and he is surely proud of her.
        Amanda

• Kathy stitz

February 7, 2022 at 2:18 pm

Amanda, I am so sorry to hear this and I will be thinking of you during this difficult time.

• Debra Kaufman

February 8, 2022 at 2:36 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, Amanda….

• Carolyn Barry

February 9, 2022 at 8:42 am

Amanda, my heart goes out to you with another great loss…..your cousin sounds like a very special person. You will be in my prayers.

• Amanda

February 14, 2022 at 9:14 am

Thank you. I really wasn’t expecting so much support.  You will never know how deeply you have all touched my heart.

Amanda