ALS News Today Forums Forums Flash Briefings A Study Involving Machine Learning Links Depression and Quality of Life to ALS Caregiver Burden

• A Study Involving Machine Learning Links Depression and Quality of Life to ALS Caregiver Burden

Posted by als-news-today-moderator on March 26, 2020 at 7:52 am

ALS News Today’s forums moderator, Amanda Sifford, discusses how a study involving Machine Learning Links Depression and Quality of Life to ALS Caregiver Burden.

Are you interested in learning more about ALS? If so, please visit alsnewstoday.com/

What are your thoughts one this news?

Dagmar replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • bill1949

March 26, 2020 at 2:33 pm

I feel especially for caregivers. This seems to me a study for the sake of study money. It is not a mind opener that caregivers are depressed. Losing someone they love, overwhelmed physically and financially. I see the depression daily with wife. Come on, just ask us pALS if their caregiver is depressed or stressed. Maybe even shockingly, talk to the caregivers. Or you could wait until a mathematical model predicts it. Please.

• Dagmar

March 27, 2020 at 4:00 pm

I agree with you Bill! When I come across studies like this one, I always wonder “who approved the proposal?”

This reminds me of another one published a few years ago that confirmed “ALS patients are prone to depression during the 1st year of their diagnosis.” Sheesh! They could’ve saved $$ and asked any of us first. 🙂 🙂