• mario

April 2, 2020 at 9:02 am

Hello,
    My mother has been diagnosed with ALS about three months ago and she is on Riluzole treatment at the moment.
    Some doctors told us about Chelation therapy.
    This therapy is used to reduce heavy metal intoxication that might be in the blood as they accelerates the cellular aging process;
    The treatment is done with an intravenous chemical infusion that expels heavy metals,considering that ALS patients usually have a surplus of those metals such as: lead,mercury and others.
    This treatment is usually used to cure other diseases but does anyone know if there are any experiments of chelation therapy on ALS patients?
    Thank you all.

• Dagmar

April 2, 2020 at 11:52 am

Hello Mario, I am sorry that your mother has ALS. But you are in the right place for quality information and support from our members. And thank you for your question.

Regarding chelation therapy, it has not been recommended for treatment of ALS. I have provided a link below for you to an article written by Dr. Bedlack, neurologist specializing in ALS. This article addresses a number of complementary/alternative therapies, you’ll find chelation therapy on page 14.

Bottom line: heavy metals have not been found to cause ALS. Treatments to “remove” heavy metals do not cure ALS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4712627/