ALS News Today Forums Forums Using Our Forums ALS topics: What are you looking for?

• Dagmar

October 10, 2023 at 12:12 pm

…also, think about what prompted you to join this ALS forum. What questions did you have?

• Lis

October 24, 2023 at 9:23 pm

I get cramps all the time and my one leg hurts – I have drop foot and my balance is bad. I found out on May 11.2023 How fast does ALS progress

• Dagmar

October 31, 2023 at 1:11 pm

Lis, ALS seems to progress at a rate different for everyone – – our body’s reactions, our current health status, and what we’re doing to maintain our health… and on. Sometimes we’re so focused on every tick and tremble that we imagine it’s progressing faster than it really is.

• Luke J Kelly

October 30, 2023 at 2:00 pm

Hi Dagmar,

Has the forums ever addressed the question of home healthcare costs? I know it all depends on what one patient might need vs another’s needs. And, what one persons care giver can do vs another’s but is there any data that says on average a care giver needs X number of hours of help per day and that help costs X dollars per hour? It would help in trying to prepare for the future.

Thanks,

Luke

• Dagmar

October 31, 2023 at 1:14 pm

This is a great question… I think there are statistics of how much it costs to have caregivers over the length of the patient’s life… but I’d be interested in if any of our members know of a resource that specifically addresses your question.

• Beth Gabel

November 1, 2023 at 1:34 pm

I’m interested in alternative treatments. Maybe supplements or prescription medications that were FDA approved for other conditions, but may be helpful for ALS treatment.

• Dagmar

November 1, 2023 at 4:23 pm

Hmmm… that might be risky in the long run Beth. It’s better to stick with approved ALS treatments. Why try something experimental and unresearched?