• Posted by karen-goldhirsh on September 6, 2020 at 12:32 pm

My husband diagnosed 2 years ago with ALS.  We are looking for a home more accessible for bathing.  Though not wheelchair bound now we are wondering if using a transfer Mobility chair for commode/tub/shower  a good idea.  Which is better a roll in or transfer shower or a bathtub?  Has anyone installed a SafeStep tub or shower?

chuck-kroeger replied 3 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Dagmar

September 6, 2020 at 3:17 pm

The modifications we made to our bathroom during my 2nd year with ALS were among our best decisions. Even though I wondered if it was worth the expense – – now 8 years later, I am thankful we did it.

We had a walk-in shower with a glass door and a lip I had trouble stepping over to walk in. So, we had the pre-fab shower pulled out and eliminated the “lip.” Instead of a door, we have a pull-curtain with an area at the top that allows the caregiver to peek in and check if I’m OK. Grab bars on the wall and entrance were added. PLUS, we ordered a PVC roll-in shower chair – – works perfectly! My husband holds my hands while I sit down onto the chair, then swivel-rolls me to the water. I bathe myself independtly. When finished, he swivels me out and helps me to my feet. I feel safe and it makes life easier.

I can’t imagine using a bathtub. Sitting down low and having to navigate a wet, soapy tub floor feels like an accident waiting to happen. Had to use a swivel-transfer seat with a bathtub once at a motel when we were traveling – – I thought “never again!”

Karen, would you like me to private message you and share a photo of our shower set-up?

• Amanda

September 8, 2020 at 7:06 am

Karen,

I have a safe tub (Walk in with a door).  It was installed in my house a year or so before I purchased it.  I also have one bathroom with a walk in shower, but it has the rail (lip) and sliding doors. With my family history of ALS, and knowing I have the mutated SOD1 Gene, I thought this might eliminate an expense for me in the future.  I think if you can maneuver around and still have strength this is a good tub. However, it has a door and there is a slight step up (about 2 inches) that you have to step up/or over to get in. There is not much room in my tub to maneuver around but that could be a pro and a con. It has rails and grips in several places. My bathroom is very small and I think if would be difficult to manage although much easier than a regular bathtub. I do have the manual and installation receipt. It was around 11k.  That was just for the tub. I think when I can upgrade a few things I will upgrade the other bathroom first and put in a better walk in shower that has a true walk in without having to step up or over anything. I think what Dagmar described would be much better than the Safe tub I have.

• roxanne-kusske

September 8, 2020 at 3:16 pm

We recently took out our tub and shower and built a walk in shower, and will have a little removable ramp to go over the lip and push my husband’s commode/shower wheel chair into the shower.  Just need to re-paint the walls and ceiling above the tiling, and then we can use it.  I’m so excited that he finally, after several months, gets to take a shower… no more sponge baths!  🙂

• maryconnolly

September 8, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Ragnar-I would love to see photos of your shower set up. We are going to remodel our modest master bath to make it more accessible. In the Accessible Home book I’d seen some bathrooms with curbless roll-in shower, but only a few with curtains which I think are preferable to any type of doors. We have 8.5ft x 7.5ft to play with and are considering making the bathroom slightly bigger. Can you send photos to me. Appreciate it greatly.

• karen-goldhirsh

September 8, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Thank you for your replies photos would be very helpful. Currently my husband’s weakness is in arms and hands none in legs at this time but I want to be prepared and make modifications once.

• susantatkins

September 8, 2020 at 3:47 pm

I would put in a shower that you can roll a shower chair into it. No step ups or lips. Put in grab bars. I wish I had done this. Rolling shower chairs are the best.

• maryconnolly

September 8, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Dagmar—-I would love to see photos of your shower set up. We are going to remodel our modest master bath to make it more accessible. In the Accessible Home book I’d seen some bathrooms with curbless roll-in shower, but only a few with curtains which I think are preferable to any type of doors. We are also considering the “wet room” style but don’t know how wood cabinetry survives that setting. We have 8.5ft x 7.5ft to play with and are considering making the bathroom slightly bigger-our architects are creative. Can you send photos to me? Appreciate it greatly.

• chuck-kroeger

September 10, 2020 at 2:58 pm

We took out our shower that had sliding glass doors  and installed a Built-in shower with a low lip so that my shower chair can roll in to it.  We are real pleased with it so far although with the big shower chair provided  by the Gleason foundation, it is a little bit tight