ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Bouncing Back from COVID-19: Your Guide to Restoring Movement

• Bouncing Back from COVID-19: Your Guide to Restoring Movement

Posted by Dagmar on July 6, 2020 at 12:10 pm

With dire news of COVID-19 continuing to roll out, here finally, is a glimmer of hope! A guidebook for patients who are in the stages of recovery from the virus – – that focuses on encouraging gentle movement and deep breathing.

This unique guidebook was developed by Dr. Peiting Lien, PT, DPT of Johns Hopkins Medicine, along with Tim Anderson and Dani Almeyda, the co-founders of Original Strength. According to Dr. Lien, “Early intervention through exercise and activity aimed at treating the whole person will play an important role in the recovery process and can be started at home during self-isolation.”

The guide shows three phases of recovery and presents easy exercises within segments labeled: Breathe Deep, Turn-on the Vestibular System, Engage in Crossbody Patterns, and Gain Endurance.

Dr. Lien and her team at John Hopkins Medicine believe this guide can also serve as a resource for anyone recovering, not only from COVID-19, but living with from any injury or surgery!

You can access the guide here.

Have you or a family member experienced having the virus? How was your recovery? Would having this guidebook be of help? Will you incorporate some of the exercises into your daily routine?

Dagmar replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dagmar

July 6, 2020 at 12:20 pm

I was delighted to learn of this guidebook. Luckily, I have so far, avoided contracting the virus. But, I do attribute much of my current mobility to having practiced these same movements taught by Original Strength throughout the 10 years I’ve been living with ALS.

• Susan Gray

July 6, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Hi Dagmar,

I too thought this guidebook was phenomenal!  How appropriate that these Original Strength  exercises/movements are suggested to people who are recovering from COVID.  No one in our immediate or extended family has contracted the virus, and I’m very thankful. I must admit, however, I’m getting tired of dealing with COVID on top of ALS.  I need some friend hugs and sister visits.  😉

• Dagmar

July 6, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Susan – – I’m sending you lots of virtual hugs across the miles 🙂

Stay safe – – stay virus-free – – keep smiling (under your mask!)