Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Info in a technique used for pALS with Trach’s :

Breathing Easy in Dallas – YouTube

Knowledge is power. If you end up on a trach, this is what you want. Some of these people survive a decade or more with the proper care.

Tom Hehir
      Participant

Thanks John for sharing. I was diagnosed last Sept. By November my SVC was 51 and I was prescribed a bipap. I use it at night and a couple of hours in the afternoon. Shortly thereafter I was given a cough assist. My SVC is now in the 70s and my FVC is 100. I can lay flat without a problem. I went from having considerable breathing problems to minimal problems. I think all ALS patients should be prescribed a bipap when diagnosed to simply give your lung muscles a rest. Also the cough assist expands my lungs and clearing out the mucous improves my speech. This should become a standard of care.

Thanks again John.

Tom

Duane
        Participant

I agree with you.

Marianne Opilla
      Participant

I asked for my bipap after hearing a webinar.  Now I have asked for the cough assist.  Unfortunately I feel like I have to do my research and then ask for everything.  I do feel better after using the bipod at night.  I don’t know yet if my numbers are better.  I agree totally that the respiratory assistance should be ordered as soon as diagnosis is made, especially with bulbar symptoms.

Duane
      Participant

I have been using a cpap/bipap for many years. Recently I had loud leaks that kept me and spouse awake most of the night.  I adjusted the pressure down by 2 levels and now I am sleeping like a baby and no leaks, or noise.  I looked into options and methods on YouTube for adjusting it and it has worked very well.  The pressure was too high for some reason.  I have a Dreamstation.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account