Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

Changes in speech (also known as dysarthria) are common with ALS and progress over time. I am at that middle stage where I have trouble speaking but not enough yet to qualify for a speech generating device. Let’s share our tips of how we continue to communicate, protect what little voice we have and not stress out about it.

Galina Pantsevich
      Participant

I started having problems with speech two days ago, some letters at the end of words are difficult to pronounce. Please share your experience of how long you can maintain a conversational function, what exercises to do.

John Russell
      Participant

Not sure if I have a problem yet. I have been diagnosed 5 yrs. Occasionally , I feel that I am slurring and having a slight lisp. My listeners say the do not hear it that way. I’ve had the concern for months on & off. The majority of the time I don’t detect problems. Did not see a speech pathologist at my last clinic. I want to be sure she is present next time. Each loss I experience is so slow and insidious. If I think I may be losing something it may not be obvious for 1 yr.

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

About 4-5 years ago I began to notice my tongue felt thick, it was moving slow when I spoke and I was slurring words. My upper palate (back roof of mouth) seemed to be dropping, which gave me a nasal sound.

Initially I thought that tongue exercises, speaking more, then changed to speaking less – – would all help. They didn’t. At the doctor’s I was sent to a speech-language department where they educated me on all the tech items (eye-gaze, phone apps, scribble board) that I could use instead of talking. But…I didn’t want to give up speaking – – no matter what I sounded like.

Two things helped me: 1) Learning to speak with a lower pitch, move consonants “g, k” forward in my mouth and speaking slower but carefully, 2) use my diaphragm (like an opera singer) to produce sound.

I am still speaking! Yes, slowly…and with a lower pitch and a nasal twang. But who cares? I am speaking. I take my time, breathe and avoid feeling rushed by others around me. That involves body awareness.

So, here is how I learned better speech: https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2018/03/als-dysarthria-use-these-innovative.html

and how to support it all through better breathing: https://alsnewstoday.com/2018/05/29/als-breathe-well-balloons-bubbles/

Please feel free to ask me questions if you need more information in this area. 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account