ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Do you inquire about vaccinations when you hire caregivers?

• Lisa Whittaker

April 23, 2024 at 2:18 pm

My husband passed from ALS on January 5 of 2024 I was never able to hire a caregiver, but for the record I would never ever require anyone to take a vaccine before they cared for my husband. It is so hard to find good caregivers and especially people that are familiar with ALS, a vaccine is the last thing I would be concerned with. I felt so strongly about this that I had to post. Thank you Lisa

• Kim Belden

April 23, 2024 at 2:35 pm

I would absolutely require a caregiver to have Covid vaccines up-do-date. I would also require them to inform me if they had a family member sick.

I’m fully vaccinated. I lost a brother in the VA nursing home to Covid because some of the staff were not vaccinated and they passed it to residents. Four died.

• Fran Finney

April 23, 2024 at 4:25 pm

I would absolutely require a caregiver to be fully vaccinated – and also that they not work if they knew they were sick. PALS are very vulnerable and that vulnerability needs to be acknowledged and addressed.

My husband passed away from ALS in 2014, so he did not have to deal with COVID. However, there were other contagious illnesses around, and one time a caregiver came in with bad bug. My husband got sick, the bug developed into pneumonia, and my husband had to be hospitalized. His extended illness and hospitalization resulted in a significant and horrible progression in his disease. After that I was MUCH more careful and I would not allow people who seemed sick, even family, to be in the same room as he was.