ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Emotional lability and my work

Tagged: 

• Emotional lability and my work

Posted by David Buschhorn on April 8, 2019 at 11:27 pm

It’s possible that the emotional fragility that comes with ALS actually helped me write more emotionally, but it also slowed me down a lot.

I learned to write while sobbing. eyes squinched shut and tears pouring down my face. I’m as sobby, for practically no reason, that I’m about as bad as a PMSing teenage girl.

Chocolate doesn’t help 🙂 At least there’s no cramping.

“I don’t know why I’m crying! It’s a cute kitten video!” For Pete’s sake!

Some of my books have crushing scenes and a box of tissues should about cover it. For me to re-read them is brutal.

Dagmar replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dagmar

April 9, 2019 at 11:07 am

Yes, David…. the emotional ups and downs are frustrating. Not only do we have to deal with the shocking news that we have ALS, but our emotional reflexes have become super-sensitive as well.  For anyone not ready to take on the challenge of writing a book – – journaling can be helpful. I would write down what I did that day, how I felt, what good things happened and what were the challenges.

Here I am 9 years later and the animal rescue commercials on TV can still set me up for tears! 🙂  (the emotional sensitivity is something I’ve learned to live with)