ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics FDA approves tofersen, now Qalsody, as treatment for SOD1-ALS

• Dagmar

April 25, 2023 at 7:52 pm

Congratulations to all who have SOD1-ALS for finally getting access to this life-extending treatment!

• Lisa Brown

April 26, 2023 at 12:01 am

Congrats to the 10%. – How can we sporadic pALS get the research companies to trial their targeted gene drugs on us?  I have an SOD1 mutation, along with others but not enough to allow me access to Tofersen.  It is a crime.

• Amanda

April 26, 2023 at 7:25 am

Lisa,
      Don’t give up hope because the technology will be beneficial in finding treatments for ALS in general. I know they are already working on a similar treatment for the c9.

Have you been working with any of the doctors affiliated with the research centers? If not, reach out to them. I wasn’t a candidate for the Tofersen trials because the SOD1 mutation that didn’t meet the criteria. Now, I’m eligible for the treatments.

We all need to continue advocating and making noise so that our entire community has access to treatments!
      Amanda

• Lisa Brown

April 27, 2023 at 1:42 am

Thank you Amanda.  I wish there were doctors let alone clinics that could help pALS in New Zealand!  Access to drugs is made doubly difficult by our drug company laws here.

• Amanda

April 27, 2023 at 9:56 am

Lisa,

Have you been in contact with University of Auckland?  If you are like me you have researched everything possible!  How did you find out you had the SOD1 mutation.  Were you not eligible because it wasn’t associated with a rapid progressive variant? I’m not as informed about sporadic ALS, but I do recall reading that many sporadic cases also had a mutated gene.  I’m not sure what separates it (sporadic vs genetic). Could it possibly be a new mutation and there aren’t other family members? I will be googling and reading tonight to learn more!

https://www.mndresearch.auckland.ac.nz/cool_timeline/early-access-program-for-tofersen-in-sod1-als/

You are right, it is a crime!

• Amanda

April 27, 2023 at 9:56 am

Lisa,

Have you been in contact with University of Auckland?  If you are like me you have researched everything possible!  How did you find out you had the SOD1 mutation.  Were you not eligible because it wasn’t associated with a rapid progressive variant? I’m not as informed about sporadic ALS, but I do recall reading that many sporadic cases also had a mutated gene.  I’m not sure what separates it (sporadic vs genetic). Could it possibly be a new mutation and there aren’t other family members? I will be googling and reading tonight to learn more!

https://www.mndresearch.auckland.ac.nz/cool_timeline/early-access-program-for-tofersen-in-sod1-als/

You are right, it is a crime!

• Lisa Brown

April 27, 2023 at 6:06 pm

Yes I had a gene study performed by Auckland University, however hey were only looking at a certain number of genes.  I have small mutations in several but not enough to classify as a singular variant.  I am currently trying to find the best place to have the full gene investigation – any ideas?

• Amanda

April 28, 2023 at 12:01 pm

Other than going through your doctor I’m not sure.  Hopefully someone from the forum will chime in!

Amanda

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        December 4, 2023 at 10:32 am

Amanda, I attempted to message you but kept getting error messages . . . did a message get through?

• Amanda

April 26, 2023 at 7:27 am

Biogen is stating they are trying to get QALSODY (Tofersen) out to physicians in a week.  Some places will need training on the treatment procedures and drug.  The University of Miami is setting up a “Tofersen” Clinic for treatments.

• JohnW

April 27, 2023 at 7:13 pm

Yes i too am blessed as a slow progresser.  Please dont give up hope.  I look at it as i do what i can with tools God gave me.  So i participate in studies to try to improve upon capabilities for earlier diagnosis.

Im hoping this gives you all a better chance to get into studies earlier.

God Bless You!

• Peter

November 17, 2023 at 6:28 am

Hello, does anybody knows, if BIOGEN is starting / planNing a study with Qalsody for people with the SOD1 mutation without having a diagnosed ALS, as a prevention therapy? Or do you know more about using Qalsody as a ALS blocker? Thanks and best regards, Peter

• Yannik

November 28, 2023 at 1:57 pm

I’m 49 and I live in Prévost, Quebec, I started Tofersen treatments 2 months ago. I’m really looking forward to seeing if I respond well to the medication. Here we have access to 4 medications:

* Exservan (riluzole oral film)

* Radicava (edaravone)

* Relyvrio (sodium phenylbutyrate and taurursodiol) is an oral treatment

* Qalsody (tofersen)

• John Ceriotti

November 28, 2023 at 8:43 pm

Dr Timothy Miller and Dr Robert Bucelli (both helped create the drug) have a two days a week Tofersen clinic at Washington University Medical Center in St. Louis.

I have been in the original trial since Dec 2020 and after 32 doses in the Extended Access portion of the trial every 4 weeks I feel so good with 7/9 maintained or improving markers with an every 6 months MUNEX nerve test!

I had to stop hard physical therapy after some emergency surgery in July this year and am planning a re-Assessment and start up In December and January.

I strongly feel the therapy was a great complement to Tofersen’s treatment and was improving my quads glutes etc to start walking within the year!

Washington University is developing a significant Physical Therapy program targeting PALs overall

I hope everyone can get any or all access to Tofersen…Dr Miller and Dr Bucelli developed a great drug with Biogen.

• Alan Larrivee

November 30, 2023 at 3:05 pm

The street value of what you received was a little more than a half million dollars. Once again US drug companies want their profits. At roughly 200,000 dollars a year. Who can afford it? Even the most generous insurance company will probably only pay 80%. Even that will cost the family 40,000 dollars a year. With that and other expenses replayed to this disease , what family would be solvent? Who says we need a compassionate health care system we have the money can buy!