ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Is taking a shower (or bath) difficult for you?

• Is taking a shower (or bath) difficult for you?

Posted by Dagmar on May 6, 2019 at 8:00 am

One of the first modifications we made in our home shortly after I was diagnosed with ALS, was in our bathroom. Planning way ahead, we added safety grab-bars in the toilet area and even changed out the toilet to a Toto “Washlet” bidet.

Our generous-sized shower had a glass door and required stepping up and over a 2″ lip in order to enter and exit. Pretty traditional for most homes in our neighborhood, but not good for someone with ALS.

We had the door and glass removed; replaced by a simple pull curtain. A flat, tile roll-in opening replaced the 2″ lip. Grab-bars were added plus, a roll-in shower chair.

Best decision we ever made! The whole set-up is easy for me to use, easy for my husband to provide assistance and – – most importantly, I believe it has prevented me having a dangerous slip or fall.

What adaptations have you made to make it easier for you to bathe or shower?

Dagmar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dagmar

May 20, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Here is a photo of our shower set-up.

This used to be a walk-in shower with glass door and a curb to step over. We removed the glass; thus widening the entry and use a simple shower curtain. We also had the water control lever moved from being directly under the shower head, to the near wall. This way, a caregiver can turn on/off the water without getting soaked! Bottles are in a shelf with easy access from the chair. Hope this is of help to those planning some bathroom remodeling ?

• Dagmar

July 24, 2019 at 11:12 am

Need a little more motivation to begin using a shower chair? Then read:

I’m Learning to Heed My ‘Aha” Moments