ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Managing our mindset in order to remain mobile

• Managing our mindset in order to remain mobile

Posted by Dagmar on June 26, 2019 at 7:00 am

Having to accept that we have ALS is bad enough, but when we’re urged to begin using a cane, walker, rollator, scooter or all the other mobility aids that are available – – many patients procrastinate or refuse altogether. Not because we don’t think they’ll help us, but our own egos get in the way.

I’ve written and shared how my own resistance to using a rollator and a scooter quickly disappeared once I experienced how helpful they were to me staying mobile. People with other conditions such as Parkinson’s and Multiple Sclerosis often face the same mental challenges as we who have ALS. This piece by Ed Tobias, who writes a column called the MS Wire, recently caught my attention. In it he shares the story of one of his readers who resisted getting a wheelchair much longer than he should have!

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/columns/2019/06/18/scooters-walkers-and-canes-trump-ego/

What do you think of this article? What is holding you back from using mobility aids?

replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.