ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Questions about transferring a patient – – is Hoyer lift the only option?

• Questions about transferring a patient – – is Hoyer lift the only option?

Posted by Dagmar on February 25, 2023 at 11:04 am

I am posting a question I received from one of our forum members who is a caregiver to his wife who has ALS. Do any of our members have suggestions or recommendations?

“As of today, she cannot stand and her back is not stable. We are looking for the best way to move her from bed to chair and vice versa. Many modifications are being done in the bathroom and near the bed. All seems to be getting outdated. Still exploring the best methods of transfer. Looks like the only option is the Hoyer lift. Is there any better mechanical device that can address this issue?”

Willie R Garrett replied 1 year, 1 month ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Susan

February 28, 2023 at 3:06 pm

I have ALS, 2 years now, but many signs and falls later, I was diagnosed in December 2021, but actually sick with it nearly all of 2021.
    My husband is my caregiver, he has to watch me decline a bit every week and he usually cries along with me. We got a loaner lift from out ALS loaner closet, also a power chair. The one and only time we tried the lift an RN was here to help my Husband rig the commode sling, then he started to Jack me up and I nearly slipped out! We had the ALS team to pick it up! So, it did not work for me, but it is used every day with success. So just try it out, you won’t know if you don’t try! Good luck and may God bless you🙏

• Alex Sajkovic

March 2, 2023 at 6:34 pm

Look into a MoLift, I got my 4 post gantry MoLift from Your Medical Store. It helps my wife Rose very much. It is not very technical.  You can check it out on their website. I ordered mine and it came complete, but had to bring in extra help to install it. I also bought an Etac swift mobil tilt-2 roll in shower commode chair. I highly recommend it.

Good luck.

Alex

Venessa

• Jim Knepp

March 2, 2023 at 7:40 am

I was diagnosed in April 2014, and Joanne (my Wife) is my caregiver. We have a SureHands ceiling lift  (electric, controlled by a fob) that we use to transfer me from my chair into bed at night, and from the bed to my chair in the morning. We also have a SureHands ceiling lift in the toilet area of our master bath, but I don’t use that yet as I can “walk” (really shuffle behind a walker for 4 feet or so) from my chair to our raised toilet (a handicapped toilet on a toilator base) while Joanne steadies me with a gait belt.

• Maggie Broeren

March 2, 2023 at 3:41 pm

I would suggest looking on u-tube for helpful videos. Search for ALS411. There are many practical tips on the ALS411 site.

• Dianne

March 2, 2023 at 5:03 pm

We had a surehands ceiling lift installed last week. We bought a used system from a private party, and had Accessible Systems put it up. We also have a portable lift on loan from ALS assn which we used twice when he fell.  The ceiling lift is so perfect for bed-to-wheelchair, although I had to order a couple of different slings. The full body one without the bathroom hole worked. His chair tilts back, easy to position it under the track and “drop” him in. We have really been struggling with this issue, and are so relieved. Good luck, hope this helps.

• Willie R Garrett

March 9, 2023 at 10:23 pm

Hi, I hope you have found the solution that you feel better about. A low tech option is what spinal cord injury patients used, it’s a TRANSFER BOARD. I am sure  the ALS association, or Les Turner Fndn has one in their lending closet.