Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Taylor
      Participant

Hi, I am trying to make a decision on whether to do Radicava infusions at home or at an infusion center.  I have medicare, Medicare Supplement Plan and Plan D Prescriptions. It appears that the costs for doing it at home would be much higher for me. But I am concerned about my ability long term to be going to the infusion center 12 times a month. I also wonder if there will be more problems if I do it at home.  I appreciate any insight others using Radicava could give me.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Robert Taylor. Reason: mis spelling
      Ilana Schatz
      Participant

hi Robert,

I’ve been doing home infusions for over 2 years and it’s been perfect for me, especially during covid.  You need someone else to do it for you.  My partner and I use that time for spiritual reading and non-distracting time together.\

At this point, Medicare does not cover home infusions.  We’ve spoken with ALSA and they’re working on it.  Since it’s open enrollment, you could find a Medicare Advantage plan that does cover it; we have Humana.  There is also a foundation you can apply to for help9 with the drug cost.

Good luck

Cindy
      Participant

Hi Robert. I’ve been going to an infusion center for 3 years for Radicava. When I started in Nov 2017I was still driving and walking. I am now wheelchair bound. I too have an insurance issue. Going out is more taxing now.    But I welcome the outings. The nurses are great. I look at it as a social occasion.  I’m not sure you are aware but There is a 3 rd clinical trial for oral Radicava which is now fully enrolled. We are about 18 months from  hopefully having that option.

Astrid
      Participant

Hi I  wish we had that choice, in the netherlands we only have Riluzol.

Cindy
      Participant

I’m so sorry Astrid. Not sure why every treatment is not available worldwide.

Rhonda
      Participant

My husband started his Radicava infusion at the hospital, then we transitioned to doing it at home.  He had Medicare, Supplemental and Plan D.  I don’t recall  how much it was, but I feel like almost all of it was covered.  (This was August 2019 – February 2020) I was the one to administer his infusion, and I am not a healthcare professional.  I was incredibly nervous at first, but after having watched the nurses at the hospital, and watching MANY tutorials on YouTube, I became confident and it became very routine.  Steve would have a glass of wine and watch the news during the infusion.  As time went on and Steve’s mobility declined, we were so grateful to be able to do this at home.  I don’t know if this is helpful, but just wanted to share our experience with you.

Best of luck Robert.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account