ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Stress reduction for ALS

• Dagmar

October 2, 2023 at 1:08 pm

I practice all of the above-listed techniques and have found them beneficial to lowering any stress due to my ALS.

• Clint Williams

October 3, 2023 at 2:24 pm

Hi Dagmar, Great topic, especially for the father of teenaged girls. I can’t reduce stress enough! What types of body scans do you use? I’ll be in Scottsdale stopping by BioMed in November for thermography scan as a diagnostic tool. Please clarify therapeutic scans you are referring to. Might you also include sauna and massage at stress-reducing therapies? Thanks, Clint

• Scott Lanoff

October 3, 2023 at 2:35 pm

I’ve been doing TM (meditation) for years, but recently being far more disaplined to meditating twice a day, for as little as 5 minutes, up to 20 minutes. I’m getting tremendous stress relief benifit. But … I only have sons 🙂

Best …

PS: I’d like to hear more about “scans”. Thanks!

• Dagmar

October 3, 2023 at 4:55 pm

Clint and Scott – – “Body Scans” are really pretty simple. In this day and age of “everything tech” it’s easy to jump to the assumption that body scanning involves instruments… but it actually is done with your mind.

This was a fundamental technique by Jon Kabat-Zinn that we taught students in our wellness clinic’s Stress Reduction course. To do it, just bring your awareness to your body. Begin with the toes & feet, noticing any tenseness – – breathe and let it dissipate. Repeat slowly moving up through your body finishing with the face & head. Body scans can be done quickly, anywhere, or done as a longer meditation. They can focus on stress, pain, tense muscles, etc.

Here are two examples:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/body-scan-for-pain

https://positivepsychology.com/body-scan-meditation/

• Richard L Wheeler

October 5, 2023 at 4:20 pm

For me I turn my problems over to Jesus and peace that HE brings. That is real peace.

• Roman

December 18, 2023 at 10:46 pm

For me meditation, read books from Joe Dispenza, Eckhart Tolle, Erick Fromm. The book I love is “living and dying book” (Tíbet filosophy) and more. Watch in youtube spirituallity programs. Is very important be connected with my soul

• Dagmar

December 19, 2023 at 10:45 am

Eric (Eckhart) Tolle’s lectures on present-moment awareness, I think have been very helpful for me. They are easily accessed on YouTube.