ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Traveling and ALS: Share Your Challenging (and Humorous) Moments

• Traveling and ALS: Share Your Challenging (and Humorous) Moments

Posted by Dagmar on December 5, 2023 at 1:01 am

If you are traveling during the holiday season, I’m sure you’ll agree that traveling with ALS is challenging… and can be either stressful or laughable situations. However, taking a trip is something I haven’t been able to do yet in these post-pandemic days. I think you’ll enjoy these memories I shared in one of my columns about a few pre-pandemic trips that challenged me to find humor in every mile:

Laugh on Down the Road

Tell us about the trips you are planning and how you are arranging for accessible accommodations. Do you have any stories to share about your challenging travel moments… and advice for our members?

Amanda replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Dagmar

December 5, 2023 at 11:32 am

Going on a long-distance trip or staying multiple nights now seems to include lugging along lots of extra “stuff” to accommodate my ALS. What do you have to bring along and, how do you pack for most efficiency?

• Eric Jensen

December 5, 2023 at 2:13 pm

My wife has found on VRBO many vacation rentals that are owned by people with power chairs.

• Cheryl Teribury

December 5, 2023 at 3:27 pm

It was June, so no holiday. We took a 2,000 mile road trip in my wheel chair van. We were two days from heading home and the ramp started malfunctioning. It wouldn’t open. That day and the next the ramp played Russian Roulette. Sometimes it opened, sometimes it wouldn’t and sometimes it opened halfway. With a lot of patience, we managed to make it to several destinations. When we were ready to head home it took several tries to get the ramp open. We said a prayer before we drove off. The good Lord was watching over us because the ramp worked perfectly all the way home. We were so thankful each time it worked. Once we were home, we allowed ourselves to laugh about it. We were just glad that I wasn’t stuck inside when it wouldn’t open.

• Amanda

December 6, 2023 at 1:43 pm

It sounds like your sense of humor gets you through a lot of things!! For me, that’s the best way to approach new situations or challenges. I’m glad you were able to take your trip and made it home safely!

• Martha Whitaker

December 5, 2023 at 5:11 pm

We flew across the country to see the Redwoods. The airport security went fine, be sure and contact TSA cares ahead. The funny part is the wheelchair assistance in Denver pushed me at full speed right into crowds. My husband and daughter had to run to keep up . The arrival airport was so small it had one gate and no jetway. The poor attendant who had to bring me down the outside ramp, backwards. The Redwoods were amazing and I was able to navigate the trail on a rental scooter. Travel while you can

• Amanda

December 6, 2023 at 1:45 pm

I’ll be traveling by plane for the first time since my diagnosis. I have to bring my ventilator. I can walk although long distances can be a challenge and time consuming. Our airport is huge so I’m a little nervous. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me? I’m flying from SW Florida to New Orleans and back :).