ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS What assistive device is helping you right now?

• alexs

June 18, 2024 at 2:13 pm

Chi Machine helps with morning stiffness

• Nettie

June 27, 2024 at 3:16 pm

I would love to get more information about this. Morning stiffness and pain is really bad for me.

• gschmbrs

July 8, 2024 at 11:02 am

I have a respiratory, suction machine and also cough assist machine

• Dagmar

July 15, 2024 at 12:26 pm

Similar to Nettie, my muscles and joints are also stiff in the morning – -I find that while lying in bed, if I do gentle stretches (such as pulling knees to chest, twisting body, and arms reaches) my body moves much easier for the rest of the morning.

I know of Chi Machines, and while they offer a gentle shaking of the lower body while you lay passively… I prefer to stimulate my body’s muscle movement through intentional exercise.

• moshe

July 16, 2024 at 2:31 pm

Hi,

What is a Chi machine, never heard of it.

Than you

Sara Y.

• Roman

June 18, 2024 at 10:33 pm

The trilogy (NIV, cough machine and suck machine), electric wheelchair, tobii , electric toothbrush and hospital bed

• Bill Bonney

June 20, 2024 at 4:26 pm

Sit to stand machine, power chair, suction machine, 2 trapeze over bed, urine bottles in bed, water thickener, letterboard to talk, also ‘Tiny talker’

• Dagmar

June 27, 2024 at 12:17 pm

I use the Read Aloud app on my computer to prevent eye strain and help me maintain good posture – – for reading various online blogs and articles. It’s a timesaver too. Even though this isn’t an app specifically for ALS, I think we spend too much time and energy straining at our computers. Listening helps in mentally processing the information.

• Lisatodd

June 27, 2024 at 4:48 pm

I am a caregiver.

my husband was diagnosed in November. It is in his belbar?? mouth area, he can no longer eat all through feedtube. On good days I can understand earlier in the day. Later as he gets tired harder to understand. I have ADHD and I take methylphenidate 20mg 2x a day. For people without ADHD gives energy. Our family doctor put him on this and it is amazing how much it has helped with energy level. Thought I would share.

• len-jax

July 9, 2024 at 4:40 pm

Hi Dagmar,

Is that Read Aloud app an app you purchased, or is it something that came with your computer? I have a Mac.

Len

• alexs

July 13, 2024 at 2:22 am

Netti, do an amazon search for Chi Machine

• Trevor Bower

July 16, 2024 at 8:00 pm

I use an electric wheelchair to get around the house. Most everything is reachable now. I miss going out in the neighborhood. The city won’t help me by reducing the curb height. Having a computer is really great for written communications.