• Kathleen B (Katie)

March 9, 2023 at 3:54 pm

Yes—I have decided to ask each participant at my next ALS Clinic appointment to give me an article or item idea to do PROactively until the next clinic appointment that will help me maintain my current ALSFRS-R score.  Indeed, I will give 1 week notice in email to each of the request. My reason for this: I am tired of clinic just watching and ‘marking progression of symptoms.  I ask questions, I take articles, I have nods and smiles, but little feedback. I hope it will help!

• Diane Hanberry

March 9, 2023 at 5:15 pm

Trying to do more stretching to keep muscles looser.  Arms are getting weaker, so doing the stretching against the wall.  Anyone else stretching?  Do you think it has helped?

• Amanda

April 3, 2023 at 9:24 am

@Katie,

That is a great idea.  Sometimes it is hard to get some medical teams to do more than just document ALS symptoms.  Please let us know how it works out.

Amanda

• Kathleen B (Katie)

March 10, 2023 at 9:14 am

Yes, stretching movements  of  all types is helpful—at this point, I use a leg lifter  while seated in my recliner (feet on or off the foot rest) to move legs up/down, left right, and to pull them into ‘knees up’ position.  I do this as I am able thru the day, and only as much as feels comfortable. I had to let go of setting a number of times or minutes, because that is just not the reality of ALS in moderate to fast progression.  However, I do know I want to be doing something for my smooth and cardiac muscles—as well as my affect of positivity: “something is better than nothing”.  So—keep doing something!

• Dagmar

March 13, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Kathleen and Diane – – “stretching” or rather gentle exercise  has been the cornerstone of my personal regimen of living with my ALS. Doing daily gentle exercise is recommended by ALS physical therapists. And I believe by doing it, I have contributed to my slow progression. So, I encourage you to add it to your day as well. 🙂

I’ve written many articles about my exercises – – the main point is to keep to simple body movements and instead of a typical “exercise session,” you build these movements into the whole day. https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2022/03/my-tricks-for-adding-movement-to-my-day.html

A list of my articles on exercise can be found here: https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2017/09/als-and-wellness-blog-archives.html

Plus this one about ALS Clinic visits: https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2021/07/1-thing-to-always-bring-to-als-clinic.html

I’m always happy to answer questions about exercise and ALS, and to brainstorm options.

• brian

March 30, 2023 at 4:52 pm

Learned that 95% of pALS have TBI (Tick Borne Infections)

Had a test done by Vibrant Wellness.

Now know I have 3 viruses: “Burg”, Epstein-Barr and garinii.

Working with a clinic to wipe these out using SOT (Supportive Oligonucleotide Therapy).

• Amanda

March 31, 2023 at 7:09 am

@ Brian,

I’m curious where you learned that 95% of pALS have Tick Borne Infections? Do you have a reliable resource you can share?  When I researched this I found that this is a misconception partially because the symptoms mimic Lyme disease. ALS News Today did an article that addressed some misconceptions including this one.  https://alsnewstoday.com/social-clips/5-misconceptions-als-might-find-interesting/  If there is updated and more accurate information I would definitely want to know, so please share.

• brian

April 5, 2023 at 2:13 pm

The 95% comes from my clinic in Miami. Me, I live in Michigan

Believe what you need to. My clinic has regressed several pALS

• Mary Jo Fairweather

April 7, 2023 at 9:17 pm

I had a setback on Wednesday. My husband couldn’t get me up from the toilet. After exhausting all attempts we called EMS. They were here in minutes and were great. I was very shaken though. After consulting my OT we had a rented hoyer lift by the end of the day. What a great tool! It will make transfers so much safer and easier on my amazing husband.
    It’s not easy keeping a step ahead of this disease but we stay as positive as we can, and laugh things off.