• Attitude and ALS

Posted by Amanda on July 7, 2023 at 7:55 am

One of my best friends lost her son to an overdose when he was 27 years old. Somehow she took this experience and made herself an even kinder, generous, and more compassionate person. She makes our world a better place despite such a painful experience.  

I can’t think of a greater loss than losing a child….to anything. My friend inspires me in countless ways. She is a big reason that I approach my ALS the way I do. 

I don’t look at myself as a “Fighter.” I don’t want to spend my life “fighting” something. That takes so much energy, energy I want to spend on life, and love! Instead, I face each day with gratitude for what I have and can still do. I cannot change the fact that I have ALS. But, I can control my attitude.  

What influences your approach and/or life philosophy? How do you approach each day? 

Dagmar replied 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Tara

November 21, 2023 at 2:19 pm

I was diagnosed with Bulbar ALS in May of this year. Initial symptom was affected speech. I am finding new meaning and joy in rather simple things– taking a walk (which I can still do), visiting with family and friends (they can still understand my garbled speech), taking in the beauty of the outdoors. These are more precious to me as I recognize that there will likely be a time when I cannot do them, at least not without difficulty. I am trying to live “in the moment” more, and savor each day.

• Hal

November 21, 2023 at 4:12 pm

Hi Amanda…thanks for sharing. Attitude is something we can control and more than anything a good attitude is something that not only helps us but more importantly our loved ones. That said, I also believe a fighting attitude is a good attitude and in many ways, that to me is one of the great challenges of this disease. When you’re a few years in you start getting cut off from most trials… and you’re left with a few options that might simply slow progression. Here’s to hoping those of us that really want to fight start having more options!

• Amanda

November 22, 2023 at 6:36 am

Hal, good points!! I do continue to advocate, volunteer and donate to ALS research as much as I can which continues to be at least once a month. I suppose “fight” may not be the right word, I could have found a better word. I will always, always do anything I can to support ALS research or help any and every pALS I possibly can. I’ve watched 15 family members die from ALS. Several of my family members continue to volunteer for medical research, raise money and are very active in ALS communities in a volunteer capacity.

Thank you for your insight! As always, I appreciate your input and thoughts.

Amanda

• Dagmar

November 28, 2023 at 10:58 am

I agree with Amanda… I don’t like to think I am fighting my ALS. It’s not an outside virus attacking my body or a “thing” affecting me… ALS is my own body that has gone awry – – misfolding of the DNA proteins. I don’t know what triggered my ALS, or need to find out at this late date. So, my attitude is to “live with it”… coexist with it, and not let ALS dominate my life. I look forward, not backward.