ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Birthdays and ALS

• Birthdays and ALS

Posted by kathy-stitz on June 7, 2021 at 9:41 am

My birthday is still a few months away but I was thinking how, when you have ALS, it’s difficult because you don’t know how many more birthdays you will have.  Has anyone else felt like this and, if so, how did you deal with it in a positive way? Thank you in advance!

kathy-stitz replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Dagmar

June 7, 2021 at 12:18 pm

Kathy, it’s easy to fall into that type of thinking. Dwelling on “how many birthdays do I have left?” is the same to me as asking “how long will I live?” No one knows how long they will live (with or without ALS) I have ALS, but that may not be the cause of my demise… tomorrow I could be hit by the beer truck (an old saying)…

Rather than worrying about how many days or years I have left, I focus on TODAY. Heck, I’m so busy and my to-do list is so full, I have to live a lot longer just to get everything done 😉

This may be of help, click this link:
    Are You Stuck in the ALS Waiting Room?
    https://alsnewstoday.com/columns/2018/10/23/als-are-you-stuck-waiting-room/

• kathy-stitz

June 7, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.  Sorry about that!  Dagmar, thank you for your response.  I will try to just focus on today!

• Dagmar

June 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm

Which forum did you want to post it in? I can change it for you.

• kathy-stitz

June 7, 2021 at 6:10 pm

I wanted to post it in Living With ALS.  Thank you!

• ken-erickson

June 9, 2021 at 11:06 am

My birthday was May 23, 2021. I turned 55 years old and I was diagnosed with ALS in 2017. Looking forward to a long life with ALS.

• kathy-stitz

August 13, 2021 at 6:16 am

I’m revisiting this topic because today is my birthday and I’m thinking about all of you and hoping that all of us are able to celebrate many more birthdays.   As always, thank you all for your help and support.