ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Calling all “Foodies” – – do you have recipe/meal suggestions?

• Calling all “Foodies” – – do you have recipe/meal suggestions?

Posted by Dagmar on February 6, 2021 at 11:48 am

Recently, I’ve been asked by other pALS for suggestions to help their aides and/or caregiver in ideas for meal preparation. The challenge is this: the pALS lives alone and relies on aides and/or caregivers to buy food and prepare enough to tide the pALS over until the next visit. But, the aide doesn’t have culinary experience in this area – – but, is willing to try easy recipes – – but, what to make?

Here’s where you can help. Do any of our members have easy-to-prepare meals that are nutritious and tasty and – – you’d recommend to others? How about online resources? Websites or YouTube videos? Or even a cookbook?

Let’s help these solo pALS with our meal and recipe suggestions in the comments section below. Bon appétit & Thank you!

Jill Morgan replied 2 years, 9 months ago 8 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Jennifer

February 18, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Power bowls. easy to throw together based on what you have on hand and easy to change the flavour pallet to keep it interesting. I make a bunch of these up for lunches in the week for my  daughter and I and put some in my moms fridge

include -a grain: quinoa, rice, barley -veggies: kale, corn, roasted squash, broccoli, grated carrots, edamame, avocado, sky is the limit. use up leftovers pick your favs. -beans: black beans, chickpeas -dressing or sauce. go mexican or asian whatever you love. If you like meat throw in some chicken or whatever.

• Dagmar

February 19, 2021 at 6:57 pm

That’s a great suggestion, Jennifer! Yum!

What about “meal plans” for several day’s worth?

Does anyone have menu suggestions that make for easy shopping and preparation?

• Kathy stitz

February 20, 2021 at 8:02 am

One thing to consider with this question is what foods pALS are still able to eat.  Because of swallowing difficulties, some pALS might only be able to eat certain foods or might have to have foods put in a blender to eat them.

• Dagmar

February 20, 2021 at 10:47 am

That’s right Kathy – – the caregiver needs to tailor meals to the pALS’ eating restrictions. But my question was more towards helping a pALS who lives alone and has very few eating restrictions but, has to depend on outside family members or hired caregivers to prepare meals. The challenge is to leave the pALS with nourishing, easy-to-heat, and tasty meals.

That is quite the challenge but, there are many pALS in this situation.

• Kathy stitz

February 20, 2021 at 11:13 am

That’s true Dagmar.  Both situations are quite challenging.  I like Jennifer’s suggestion.  Sounds really good!

• Lowell

February 24, 2021 at 3:28 pm

We do lots of crock pot meals. They seem to last several days. We like pinterest, there are lots of easy recipes there.

• Patti

July 15, 2021 at 3:02 pm

When I was home nursing, many of my patients used Schwann’s home delivery.  They have pre-made meals and separate items which could easily be combined to make healthy meals. As long as the individual can use a microwave this could be one option – or a back up option. Their prices were “middle” (compared to some delivery services) and the quality was always pretty good – better than grocery store frozen meals.

I would check if there is a “meals on wheels”, church or other volunteer groups which might be helpful.

• David Crellin

July 20, 2021 at 9:41 am

My favorite easy meal from years of camping that I now enjoy and can feed myself with one-handed is: pasta puttanesca.

A tin of anchovies in oil, empty oil into pan; heat and fry a hot (you choose) chilli(s) and as many cloves of garlic as you like; add the anchovies, a sliced red pepper (capsicum), a teaspoon of capers, a squeeze of lemon, a tin of chopped tomatoes, as many good black olives as you like. Boil as much pasta as you want for each serving.

The sauce can volumes can be increased if you want to freeze some. It tastes just as good defrosted.

I’ve eaten the sauce with toast or a salad, and even on its own.

My 94yr old father gets pre-cooked frozen/chilled food deliveries. It’s cheaply sourced and not something I will eat. But I’m lucky to be able to choose with one son a former chef and my wife a good cook.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 20, 2021 at 9:51 am

I get small freezer containers that I can take out of the freezer and pop into the microwave. You can put anything inside of them for the most part, veggies, fruit, soups, or even spaghetti which is my favorite. I do not have much of a swallowing problem but it has begun, but even if I must run it through a blender before freezing it would be a great way to prep for days when little or no help is available.

• Jill Morgan

July 21, 2021 at 10:09 am

We started ordering meals from “every plate”. Usually consists of a meat, carb, and vegie.  They have really good sauces with each meal.  They send you the ingredients and a recipe card and you cook it.  Most are ready in 30 minutes.  You can choose your own meals out of about 12 choices that change every week. Only costs $4.99 a meal plus shipping. Portions seemed small when we opened our first box but turned out to be just fine in serving size. My husband loves how easy they are to cook up and likes the compliments on how good it is.