ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS COVID-19 Resurgence

• COVID-19 Resurgence

Posted by Amanda on October 13, 2020 at 6:24 am

I don’t know about everyone else in our community, but I’m about done with the pandemic.  Ok, clearly I’m not “done” because this morning on the news they had a story about the resurgence of cases this fall and winter.  For our ALS community this pandemic has had an even greater impact from rescheduling appointments to slowing down or even halting some research.  Are you experiencing pandemic related stress or has your life been impact much? Have you found healthy ways to deal with the pandemic related stress?

chris-koch replied 3 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Dagmar

October 13, 2020 at 8:04 pm

I agree with you Amanda – – I too am “done” with this pandemic. But I know the reality is: nothing has changed since the onset – – we still don’t have a vaccine. We’ve learned the habits of prevention… but nothing feels normal.

In my little world, writing my columns has been cathartic in releasing stress. Mostly, I try to stick to a routine schedule and get enough sleep. Staying busy with projects keeps me focused and, I’ll admit to watching funny youtube videos to keep my sense of humor.

• duane

October 13, 2020 at 8:51 pm

This resurgence is very disappointing.  I never leave the house (except for a flu shot which was given in a parking lot).  We have everything delivered, then it stays isolated for 4 days, except for perishables.  Too many people just don’t care and don’t wear masks.  Even if it doesn’t bother a person now, once exposed to it, the virus may come back with a vengeance (I’m thinking of Shingles for example).  It’s new and they know very little about it.  I don’t feel stressed, but would like to go to my hospital to have a dental cleaning.

• citaliano

October 14, 2020 at 8:42 am

Although we are so over Covid it is not done with us. That said I believe this too shall pass. As in the 1918 Spanish flu, these pandemic viruses take time to run their course.

• romy-h

October 15, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Although I do not have ALS at this time, my risk has not been ruled out. There is no way to know so I am getting prepared now as we were genetically so close. Being a twin which I have now figured out for sure we are fraternal and losing my twin 4 months ago means I check daily for any changes in my body. Due to overworking my hands with my cleaning business, I developed tendon issues.

We are staying in our home on an island with no stores or businesses with 100 people here. There are roughly 250 houses mainly vacation homes not being used now. We have seen an increase in wild life by leaps and bounds here! The Audubon society says we have the highest bird population per area in the state of WA! I am staying entertained at my island home, picking up preordered groceries across the water but only hubby gets on the ferry. We don’t go anywhere else, no restaurants, no group settings. I take walks alone with my two dogs. I am doing some knitting but have to be careful with my hands. I have not left this house for one month off the island! I keep the hummingbird feeders full and watch youtube for fun and how tos.

My home already has wide door ways and a downstairs bedroom. Our lay out is a living room/dining and big kitchen. Our doors all accommodate wheelchair access. If I get ALS, we are prepared with our home. My twin sister had an outdoor recumbent bike. I do have one knee that gives me issues sometimes so I am bringing out the recumbent bike soon. With Covid increasing, I will stay home as much as I can. Hubby goes off once a week to pick up mail and groceries. We are doing all we can to stay safe and wearing our masks when we see people here. I am doing more with embracing nature, home improvements and being ready for the future whatever it may hold. A storm the other day in our view from our modest small home.

• chris-koch

October 16, 2020 at 6:54 am

I am so tired of this pandemic. I just started seeing my home schooled grandchildren again but always in outdoor settings and with masks.

I’ve been in the ER (due to passing out) and admitted to the hospital for 3 days. I have followed all protocols for staying safe and so far have been successful.

I put my life on hold from March 9th (day of diagnosis) through August 30th because of the pandemic; now I am resuming some of my normal activities as long as I can social distance (more than 6 ft) and am not in closed spaces with a lot of people.

My physical capabilities are declining quickly and I want to enjoy whatever time I have safely.