ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress ALS News Does ALS influence how you vote?

• Does ALS influence how you vote?

Posted by Amanda on January 25, 2024 at 7:37 am

In the United States, we have a presidential election in November 2024. 

Does legislation regarding ALS and other rare diseases influence your vote?  

What legislation or policy do you believe helped pALS and others in similar situations?

What would you like to see change in the government to help pALS and others with rare diseases?

Please feel free to add information about policies in other countries/areas!  Just be sure to tell us where you are located. We have members from all around the world, so the more information the better. 

Please be respectful when responding.

Optimist replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Richard L Wheeler

January 26, 2024 at 6:50 pm

No change in my vote

• PaulB

January 28, 2024 at 7:45 am

I tend to be someone who does NOT vote along ‘party’ lines. Rather, I look at the candidates as a whole. But, that said, a candidate who would diminish the vigor at which we advance our science to combat disease would not get my vote.

I am a PALS, but I would consider that I’m thinking about not only myself (as a bulbar-onset patient, I don’t have much time left anyway…), but rather I consider what it would mean for my family and community in the longer-term. As there is no proof that ALS is something which can be ‘passed down’, the chances my children contract ALS is perhaps equal to anyone else in society. BUT, we do not know the cause of ALS. (Let alone a cure.) So, was the cause of it something we have done as a society? Don’t know.

• Optimist

January 30, 2024 at 5:54 pm

My brother has ALS since 12/22. I will not vote for any candidate for any office who suggests any cutbacks in healthcare coverage and will prefer a candidate who seeks more along the lines of universal care. One thing I would really like to see for pALS is better and broader support for in-home care, home modifications, and better drug coverage.