ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics FOOD RECOMMENDATIONS

Tagged: 

• FOOD RECOMMENDATIONS

Posted by Deleted User on December 4, 2022 at 3:31 pm

I am reaching out to anyone that can answer the suggested food intake, amount of calories for assisting with weight maintenance.    I understand maintaining a good proportional weight is important but I have recently found some natural pathic suggestions have been KETOGENIC diet for ALS patients?  I would love to have input!

Thank you for your time

Dagmar replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 6, 2022 at 7:51 am

Thank you for responding to this question. I have recommended exactly what you suggested except I did suggest MEDITERRANEN foods as they have a rich OMEGA-3 list of healthy foods, easy to swallow foods and foods that can be purred into a smoothie, The herbs and spices in the food directory are a lot of anti-fungal, anti- spasmodic etc. The green veggies and cruciferous veggies are a very healthy recommendation and its all natural and nothing OUT OF A BOX or CAN!

A Practitioner recommended 3 detox approaches and an antiparasitic diet ( I did not say anything) but did ask why!

In 1994 , I purchased a book called ENZYMES, The Fountain of Life ; The ENZYME approach published at that time centered on Diabetics and other diseases. MS was one but not much had been explored. This is my next “research” understanding the patterns of with ALS. SO thank you for your help and research link. I am happy to “pass this on” I did pass on the forum link but I don’t think either has joined.  Thank you again

• bobbie-spring

June 28, 2023 at 4:00 pm

I found Soylent helpful for my father while he could still swallow liquids.  it’s a complete meal

you can purchase on Amazon there are a few flavors available

• dan-pence

December 6, 2022 at 2:14 pm

Read chapter 9 in the China Study by Campbell.

• kathleen-b-katie

December 6, 2022 at 4:07 pm

So it seems there is a MISSING reply between KimG 1 & 2 messages??  She responds positive & ‘following’ everything recommended—but I see nothing further.  Please explain and add in the response as. TY!

• Dagmar

December 6, 2022 at 4:10 pm

Kim, From my observations and keeping up with the literature – – there is no special diet for ALS. Just eat a wide variety of quality, healthy foods. Maintaining weight is a matter of the ability to “eat”… when we can’t swallow or chewing is tiresome then we lose weight due to lack of calories. Then alternate, high nutrition needs to be considered. Also, weight is lost due to disuse atrophy of the body’s muscles. It is easier to sit motionless than practice a daily overall movement routine.

As far as trendy diets go… the Keto diet seems to severe and restrictive for anyone with ALS. Why put an already stressed body into more stress? But maybe the Wahl’s Protocol could be considered if the patient needs specific guidelines other than “eat healthy.” Here’s a link: https://terrywahls.com/

• john-hamilton

December 6, 2022 at 6:35 pm

81-year-old me? I focus on calories. Stlll losoing weight. Just can’t get enough calories. Lost about 25% of my 200 lbs. since January. Now, having mostly Progresso soups—some with thickener gel, Ensure strawberry drinks, and Quaker hot cereal—Oh, and lots of high-fat ice cream, and … cheesecake!

• kathleen-b-katie

December 8, 2022 at 4:31 pm

Great ideas John—and easy it seems!! I’ve been a lightweight all my life …had high metabolism & ate anything & everything all the time!  From May 2021 diagnosis I was told to be on 2200 calories daily!! That’s ALOTTA food—I have to put out the ‘next thing’ to eat all day!, but I’m not feeling hungry that often, so it’s tough.   I’m nearly 67, and started around 147#…haven’t been under 141 so far, but it’s a daily duty that I’m not totally adjusted to yet.
    but maybe it’s time to eat more desserts between meals & save ‘healthy’ for the ‘official’ mealtimes! ????

• Dagmar

June 12, 2023 at 4:32 pm

The dietician on the Your ALS Guide website has written a number of excellent answers in response to the common questions pALS ask about what food to eat and how to keep weight up, etc.

Read more here: https://www.youralsguide.com/ask-the-dietitian-about-als.html

• Dagmar

June 27, 2023 at 12:33 pm

I often wonder about how much of our weight loss is due to the natural process of aging and how much is ALS-related (muscle wasting). Throughout the 13 yrs I’ve had ALS, my “normal” weight has remained pretty much the same. I still fit into the same size clothes as before. Although I know I am losing body fat/collagen in areas that would be normal for my age – – I do make an effort to maintain my muscle mass via daily bouts of gentle exercise.

• kim-belden

June 27, 2023 at 2:49 pm

The best way for healthy weight gain or weight maintenance is to eat what I call “super smoothies.”  I use a Vitamix (I have a doctorate in naturopathic health with a specialty in nutrition).  My base is walnut milk.  I add full-fat Greek Yogurt (for protein if you can tolerate dairy) 1/4 cup flax seeds (freshly ground, if possible) frozen berries and pineapple, an avocado, raw cocoa, allulose (natural sweetener that doesn’t spike blood sugar), a Tablespoon of MCT oil, and inulin (a natural fiber that dissolves very quickly.). Allulose is not as sweet as sugar so it’s trial and error.

My protein shake easily adds up to 1,200 – 1,500 calories.  It is filling!  I experiment with different whole foods.  Also Kate Farms makes a drinkable coffee shake but I think it’s only about 300-400 calories.

You need protein, fat, carbs, and fiber with every meal.

• Dagmar

June 27, 2023 at 3:44 pm

I agree with you Kim. We pALS need protein, fat, carbs, and fiber with every meal. I worry when I read that someone is trying to follow a diet recommended by non-medical or unscrupulous providers. Our bodies are under enough stress as it is.

Thank you for sharing the recipe for your super smoothie. I drink a similar version of that every day.

• alexi

June 27, 2023 at 3:38 pm

Hi,

I am an asymptotic c9 carrier. I have been vegan for 10 years. I follow a whole food, plant based diet. I have no intention of veering off this diet when I become symptomatic. I believe it is the healthiest diet and I am ethically committed to it.

Alexi

• Dagmar

June 27, 2023 at 3:51 pm

Alexi, I too was a healthy vegan for 11 yrs prior to my diagnosis. But my neurologist told me I needed to consume way more daily protein. It was difficult to manage that (meal planning, restaurants, friend’s dinners, etc) in addition to my early symptoms. So I modified my diet with quality animal protein.

I’m just saying that once your body is dealing with symptoms (and excess oxidative stress & inflammation) one has to be open to changes in our thinking.

• alexi

June 27, 2023 at 10:31 pm

Hi Dagmar,

I would drink plant-based protein smoothies if I had to increase my protein. I am determined to never waver from my vegan lifestyle.

I won’t steal a calf’s milk or take part in the mother being forcibly impregnated and the calf being torn away from its mom at only a few days old. I won’t eat animal flesh, just like I won’t eat my dog or cat. I won’t support factory farming in any way. I won’t eat eggs because they are horrible for you, and also the baby male chicks are ground up alive. If I die an early death because of it, so be it.

Alexi

• brian-stanfield

July 6, 2023 at 5:20 pm

Alexi – I hope you’re not implying that Dagmar would condone animal cruelty.  Dagmar is as kind as they come.

• Dagmar

July 7, 2023 at 11:47 am

awwww… no worries, Brian. Thank you for the compliment though 😉

• veronica

June 28, 2023 at 11:44 am

W are pescatarins..salmon is so good for the body! We eat a diet close to Mediterranean..but with a bit more fats but healthy ones. Keeping his weight buy adding avocadoes, scrambled pasture raised eggs with grated cheese little things.  Vegetable pastas with olive oil and fresh basil. We also use boost 530 calories I am not a fan but my husband needed calories..cheapest and best place to buy is hey med supplies. It is the one thing I hope to eliminate. Egg burritos with fresh hashbrown I make from potatoes. He has gained almost 5 lbs!

• Dagmar

June 28, 2023 at 11:52 am

Veronica – – that sounds yummy! ….I’m eating dinner at your place! 😉 😉

• IBREM

June 29, 2023 at 3:25 pm

Well it seems like I am doing something right…I am a caregiver for my wife…she has been losing weight…lost about 70lbs…now 112lbs…feed her Ensure smoothies in the morning…her swallowing is getting more difficult…had been getting Hello Fresh meals…which were fun to cook and no waste even though she would not finish….now have just ordered Moms Meals…pureed…and regular meals for me…seems like a good option…she wants everything but nothing tastes good…anyway…thats where Im at…thanks for the feed back…especially Dagmar…more later

• Dagmar

June 29, 2023 at 3:28 pm

Richard – – do let us know how you liked the Mom’s Meals. Their selections look good, but it always helps to know how they taste. 🙂 Thank you!