ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Has your State made the COVID-19 Vaccine available to pALS and caregivers?

• Kathy stitz

March 23, 2021 at 11:17 am

Just read Dagmar’s article about getting her first shot of the covid-19 vaccine.  That’s great!

• Carolyn Barry

March 24, 2021 at 5:06 am

I received my vaccine in February, under the 1A group, as I am 65 and my neurologist wrote a letter stating my ALS diagnosis and being someone at high risk for Covid.  I live in Warrington, PA and I decided to call the health department for my county, to explain my husband as being my caregiver, and hoping he could be vaccinated under 1A also.  I was told that he should be entitled, though it doesn’t specifically state his role under that group, other than being an “unpaid healthcare worker.”  This person at the health department suggested I go with my husband and see if he will be questioned by the staff giving out the vaccines.  I also brought my letter from my neurologist.  As it turns out my husband was not questioned at all and received his vaccine without an issue, in the beginning of March.  I was also told that restrictions have relaxed a bit so there was a good chance that he would get the vaccine and we decided it was well worth the attempt to just go.  Good luck to all those on the forum as well as their caregivers.

• Amanda

March 24, 2021 at 6:43 am

Carolyn that is wonderful!  I am so happy that caregivers are given some consideration.

Page 2 of 2