ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Hey Caregivers – lets check in

• Roxanne Kusske

May 6, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Just started my husband on Hospice yesterday.  He isn’t close to dying yet, although I don’t know for sure; but we need help and they are there in any way we need.  He refuses any type of life saving options, i.e. feeding tube, oxegyn, etc.  So I get to just watch him die a most unpleasant death.  Fortunately Hospice will be there to make him comfortable, and give me support, when the time comes.

• Dagmar

May 6, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Roxanne, I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

• Kathy stitz

May 7, 2021 at 6:58 am

Roxanne,

I will also be praying for you and your husband.   It is really up to him as to what his wishes are but it must be very difficult for you as his wife and caregiver.   There is a lot of suffering with ALS and some pALS don’t want to continue suffering.   Best wishes to both of you.

• Roxanne Kusske

May 7, 2021 at 8:51 am

Thanks ladies!  Sometimes I just want to throw my arms up and say “I’m done”!  But I could never do that to him.   So it’s good to have more help now.

• Amanda

May 7, 2021 at 8:58 am

I would consider that a normal thought considering the stress level you and your husband are under!  You and your husband remain in my prayers.

• Kathy stitz

May 7, 2021 at 9:05 am

I agree that Hospice will be able to help you, but it’s a very difficult situation.  We just need a cure for this horrible condition.

• Dagmar

May 7, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Choosing Hospice is a wise decision in your husband’s case. They offer wonderful assistance to you both. And eliminates the “we have to do everything we can medically to extend life” philosophy of modern medicine. Breathe a sigh of relief. Cherish each day together.