ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS How do you answer people when they ask, “How are you?”

• How do you answer people when they ask, “How are you?”

Posted by Dagmar on October 9, 2019 at 6:00 am

“How are you?” is such a common greeting that most folks who ask it don’t even pay attention to the response. Rarely do I answer anything beyond “Busy” or “fine,” even if that isn’t really the case. Unless I’m talking privately with someone I know very well, I rarely open up and share honestly about how I’m really doing (be it good or bad).

What about you? How do you answer the question? Like me, do you have standard quick response for most people, or do you take the time to really answer the question honestly every time?

Natalie Bernardo replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DanD

October 10, 2019 at 11:38 am

How am I today? Some days are better than others. Some are mothers. I ain’t even gonna lie. Some days, I don’t wanna get up, I just wanna give up.   Don’t even get me started on some nights.

• Sandi Tomlin-Sutker

October 10, 2019 at 11:46 am

I always say, “I’m hangin’ in there.” That seems to satisfy people.

• Dagmar

October 10, 2019 at 12:39 pm

That’s also one I use too, Sandi. It’s odd how a simple greeting – – where folks expect a positive reply – – can hold such deep meaning for us pALS (as in Dan’s reply). How much is too much information? I save the TMI for close friends who ask the question a second time. Everyone else gets a “great, how are you?”

• Natalie Bernardo

October 10, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Not as good as yesterday, but better than tomorrow.