ALS News Today Forums Forums In Loving Memory In Loving Memory of my twin who last her fight with ALS in 2020.

• In Loving Memory of my twin who last her fight with ALS in 2020.

Posted by Romy H on October 18, 2021 at 9:13 am

My twin’s name is Lori Christie and she passed away June 18th, 2020. Her struggle we found took place in about a 3-year time span. Our family as far as we know has not had this occur before. Our Father died of a neurological disease but was never diagnosed. His symptoms did not match hers. Although we begged her to see a Dr she only relented a few months before she died and refused any care for help. She chose Comfort Care at the end once she lost the use of her hands after being bedridden for some months and her voice had changed. She was an avid hiker, photographer, writer, kayaker and owned her own real estate business. She and her fiancee found a Columbia Mammoth Tooth on their local beach in 2017. There is a video of her with this and it was the largest found in Washington State. It hit national news! She posted a video on youtube 2 years before she passed away which has lovely pictures of the area she took. It’s like a tribute to her life there in Sequim, WA. In her last year of life, she helped so many people! She spent her last 6 weeks in the hospital. We were blessed to be granted visitation at both.

Below I hope it is ok to have the link to her video about the Mammoth tooth and lovely photography only video without words below that…

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/beachcomber-has-brush-with-mammoth-molar/281-444974225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pHRVq753UE

I am left walking alone where we walked together. my lifelong friend slipped away on a beautiful day. I went to where we used to hike and took a sunset picture. Not a day goes by I don’t miss my twin. We are fraternal and some family members have tested their blood finding no markers. One is my daughter and the other her daughter. This said I have not gone in to do this. I will once I am ready to but covid has slowed this down. I have to see how to get my test under my insurance. I know all the signs now to watch for. Life is so different for me. I have read and studied a lot about ALS. I am now fully aware of where once I was not and trying to get informed.

Lori Martinson Christie, you will always be missed! This is her in 2017 at 53 years old.

Cheryl Teribury replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Amanda

October 19, 2021 at 11:58 am

Lori,
    Your words are so elegant and beautiful. I’m sure they don’t compare to your twin. Thank you for sharing Christie’s story.

Amanda

• Nina

October 19, 2021 at 7:57 pm

That is so moving. Your love for your twin is evident.

• Romy H

November 11, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Thank you Amanda! I miss her terribly every day and life although it must go on has left a place that time can’t fill. I have to accept that which I never envisioned this happening to such a healthy vibrant twin. She truly embrace life and lived a lifetime in her 56 years.

• Romy H

November 11, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Thank you Nina! I appreciate greatly your kind words. She meant the world to me and walking alone is still a very difficult task…I always felt such a deep connection to her. No matter what we went thru, we did it together even from afar. She lived a lifetime in 56 years.

• Rhonda Hill

October 20, 2021 at 8:57 am

Your love for your twin and beautiful memories are truly a treasure. It warms my heat that you can share them so eligantly. Thank you for sharing your sister with us.

• Romy H

November 11, 2021 at 3:29 pm

Thank you Rhonda! Your words mean so much to me. I will always treasure my time on earth with Lori. She was my best friend, closest ally and always stood by me thru thick and thin as I did her. I am still in disbelief about her passing…there are days I wake up and still have to accept this all over again. My life feels like a kind of ground hogs day where I relive my loss over and over but its not as painful now.

• Lorri Cavaliere

November 16, 2021 at 2:29 pm

This is such a beautiful tribute to and celebration of your sister’s life.  No doubt, your twin is with you every moment of every day. ?

• Romy H

November 18, 2021 at 7:12 pm

Thank you Lorri, I do indeed embrace my memories of her…

• Cheryl Teribury

July 21, 2022 at 9:53 am

Wow!  The pictures are gorgeous!  I am so sorry for your loss.