ALS News Today Forums Forums In Loving Memory In memory of Marianne Opilla

• In memory of Marianne Opilla

Posted by Kathy stitz on July 22, 2022 at 11:49 am

Marianne Opilla passed away from ALS at age 67 on June 16, 2022 after an almost 3 year battle with this horrible disease.   Marianne was featured in our ALS Awareness Month member spotlights in May 2021.  She was an registered nurse for over 30 years and enjoyed being with her family and friends and being active.   She was kind and caring and will be missed on our forums.

Amanda replied 1 year, 9 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Dagmar

July 22, 2022 at 1:23 pm

What sad news! Thank you Kathy for sharing this. It is so hard to imagine losing Marianne – – she was a positive spirit who helped others and was a valuable member of our forum.

Here is a link to her obituary to learn more about Marianne’s vibrant life: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/marianne-opilla-obituary?id=35305581

Our thoughts are with her family at this difficult time. May she rest in peace.

• Kathy stitz

July 22, 2022 at 1:50 pm

Thank you Dagmar for providing the link to Marianne’s obituary.  I do not know how to do that so I appreciate your help. RIP Marianne

• Amy Soleta

July 28, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Thank you both for posting about Marianne. She is my mother and we are all so devastated with her passing. I know that she was an active member of this group and I enjoyed reading some of her posts about her illness and advice for other pALS. We recently had a celebration of life for her and had around 100 people come out to share memories and celebrate her. It really showed how much she was loved. Also, I am proud to share we were able to raise over $3000 in her memory for the local ALS association chapter. I hope one day that other pALS will have better treatments and won’t have to go through what she did.

• Debra Kaufman

July 28, 2022 at 2:16 pm

Amy – my heartfelt condolences to you and the rest of your family on the loss of your mother. May her memory be a blessing.

• Amanda

July 30, 2022 at 11:29 am

Amy,

Thank you so much for sharing.  Your mom was a valuable member of our forums and she helped many of our members with her input and advice.  When a family can think of others when they are going through such a tremendous loss just shows how kind and generous Marianne’s family is. Thank you for taking the time and energy to raise so much money for the ALS Association!

Amy, you and your family have my deepest, and most heartfelt condolences.

Amanda

• Kathy stitz

July 28, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Amy, thank you so much for your post and I’m so sorry for the loss of your mother.  ALS is such a horrible disease and causes so much suffering.  We will miss Marianne!

• Kathleen B (Katie)

July 29, 2022 at 8:21 am

Peace of mind and heart to you & all family & friends Amy.   MANY thanks also for sharing that your celebration of life also resulted in having a wonderful donation for the local ALS association. That is one more tribute & legacy of the life well lived by your Mom!  She is well now, smiling & so proud of you & all those she loved!