ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics Information or results on Radicava (Edaravone)

• Ann Thomson

July 28, 2020 at 2:46 pm

My husband was do this past June. His Neurologist immediately put him on Riluzole but doesn’t believe in Radicava. What is your opinion? If it slows down the symptoms I want him to go on it

• Martino Caretto

July 28, 2020 at 4:04 pm

I am a PALS, 69 years old, male, diagnosed in June 2016, spinal onset, on Radicava since October 2016. On assisted mechanical ventilator and with PEG feeding tube since Feb 2019. Wheelchair bound since 2017.On Radicava since October 2016. Having just overtaken the 3 years mark since diagnosis and considering my present condition, I would say iRadicava has probably helped: however I do not know what the outcome would have been if I had not been on Radicava.

• Andy Straw

July 28, 2020 at 7:32 pm

I took Radicava from November 2017 through November 2018.  I had a port “installed” – that was an out-patient procedure.  We had a nurse do port access (2x per 10-day course), but we did daily infusions and port de-access ourselves.  No side effects.  Didn’t notice any positive effects, so stopped after one year. I participate in the Precision Medicine Program at the ALS Therapy Development Institute: https://www.als.net/precision-medicine/ and have since November 2016. I have data about my condition and progression monthly since then up until now. I don’t see any difference between my progression for the year before I was on Radicava, the year I was on Radicava, or the more than a year since I stopped Radicava.

• Ann Thomson

July 29, 2020 at 6:18 am

Thank You for your quick replies. I think my husband should go on Radicava. We go to Doctor in Aug I will talk to him then.
    Thank You again for your feedback
    Ann

• Cindy

July 29, 2020 at 10:59 am

I was diagnosed in Aug 2017. Symptoms began Oct 2016. I started Radicava in Nov 2017. I am still on it. I believe it has kept my progression slow. I have a port and go to infusion center. I think the outing also helps. Seeing the nurses and seeing other patients helps put everything in perspective. I recommend trying it. As one neurologist told me as I sought other opinions, I’d rather you not have ALS and be on Radicava than have ALS and not be on it.

• Jonathan L Maddock

July 30, 2020 at 2:17 pm

I was diagnosed in on July 30, of 2019, second opinion at MGH one week later. Started Radicava Sept 20, 2019.

Not knowing what the progression would be without it, I have only the statistics to go by. That’s good enough for me to continue. It helps that my insurance pays the freight.

I do think that when I’m in an infusion part of the cycle, that fasciculations are somewhat diminished & cramping happens less often. Not much else different.

• Alexandra Marroquin

July 31, 2020 at 10:32 am

My boyfriend was diagnosed with ALS in April 2020 and began taking Radicava in May 2020.  He recently completed his third round of Radicava.   Although it is still early  on in the process, I have not noted much difference.  He since has began to use a breathing machine on a regular basis.   He had a port installed for the infusions.  I hope more people respond to this question as I  have never been a fan of medications and drugs  and would prefer my boyfriend take a more holistic approach if there is not going to be a considerable difference.

• Bill

August 4, 2020 at 4:02 pm

I’m about 5 + years from first symptoms and 2 and half years from diagnosis. Have never taken Radicava . Neither my university neurologist nor my ALS clinic doctor recommended it. Thought it would have little effect. My progression is slow as I’ve lost a lot of use of one hand (where it started) but very little else so far. We are all so different it’s hard to say what’s right for any one person. Sadly there is apparently no access to actual effectiveness data. I don’t rely on  anecdotal opinions other than those people who do report feeling stronger on the drug than off and feel the difference.

• Duane

October 12, 2020 at 4:58 pm

I have had ALS for 13-14 years and have not used Radicava since I’ve not read that it helps.  I understand why some people would use it, since ALS patients will try almost anything regardless.  Radicava is not approved for use in Europe since they stated it has no effect.  Radicava is a political drug, in my opinion.  Some people may have ‘a placebo effect’ while they use it.  At US$1000. an infusion, I just don’t think it’s worth it.

• MaryConnolly

October 13, 2020 at 3:09 pm

My husband diagnosed Jan 2020 at age 61, on Riluzole and started Radicava Mar 2020. His onset was upper limb. It’s hard to know if progression has slowed because there is no “control” for my husband. I administer infusions at home and deaccess port. Nurse comes 2x in the 10 day cycle to access port.

On a related topic we know that ALS manifests itself differently in each PALS, with some progressing faster and some slower—which makes it harder IMO to determine if pALS progresses slower due to Radicava–again there’s no ‘control husband’. Perhaps having an idea about where a pALS start on the slow or fast progression scale could be helpful.

That said, we read a study about an alternative to the ALSFRS and how a clinician could better predict if a pALS would progress faster or slower. The summary and info for that article is embedded below and also here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(18)30089-9/fulltext  Article discusses the ENCALS prognosis model (Netherlands) and you may be interested to have your clinician use it to predict where you are on the scale and maybe it can help guide your treatment—especially if you are thinking about Radicava. It may also help your decision to participate in valuable clinical trials that are available e.g. Healy Platform Trials. Maybe these are both topics for another thread. Blessings to you all–we are all in this together.

• Dagmar

October 13, 2020 at 3:22 pm

That is an interesting research article Mary. Here is a link to an explanation by ALS News Today: https://alsnewstoday.com/news-posts/2018/06/14/prediction-model-help-determine-survival-prognosis-als-patients/

It’s too bad that we are unable to see the actual model (ENCALS) although I did find a helpful link here: http://encalssurvivalmodel.org/

• Dave Dahl

October 13, 2020 at 3:42 pm

The doctor at ALS clinic said that this treatment cost about 150,000 a year and the results had been just so-so.  They had not had enough people try it to really know what the benefits could be.  This person did not seem to think the result was worth the cost.

• Dagmar

October 13, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Duane – – add to that, Radicava has not been tested or used on patients who are already 5+ years with ALS. Since you are at 13-14 years (congratulations, by the way!) it would seem prudent to stick with what’s working for you. At 10 yrs with ALS, I’m doing that – – no need to rock the boat with unproven treatments 🙂

• Duane

October 13, 2020 at 8:33 pm

I will agree to going an infusion route, or taking new meds, if they are categorically proven to make a significant difference, and have proven minimal side effects. My Neurologist says just keep doing what you are doing.

• Marianne Opilla

October 16, 2020 at 12:31 am

I infuse Radicava 10 days per month.  It has made me feel better and reduced fatigue.