ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices ALS Awareness Month Let’s play the game: “a new definition of A-L-S”

• Let’s play the game: “a new definition of A-L-S”

Posted by Dagmar on May 11, 2020 at 1:00 am

During this month of ALS awareness, I’m challenging our members with a simple game where we have to come up with a new creative definition for the letters A-L-S. Just tell us in the comment box below, what your three words are, and, a short description of why they have a new meaning for you.

I’ll go first:  My new definition of ALS is – – Abundant Laughing Situations

For me, having a sense of humor is important to help me successfully live with ALS. Life always seems to throw me a curveball; whether it’s ALS-related or, “just one of those things.” Being able to see-the-funny, has helped me every single day.

Now it’s your turn! What’s your new definition of A-L-S?

Dagmar replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Dagmar

May 11, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Need another example? How about: Adapt-Learn-Survive

I learned early on that having ALS meant I did things differently than before. For example: using a rollator when walking, sit down when getting dressed, cut up my food in small pieces, and pay attention when chewing and swallowing. All were “adaptations.” I put in time researching the why and how plus had to make it my new normal. This was “learning.” Finally. the result is being able to go forward with my life goals… “survive.” My alternate definition of A-L-S is: Adapt, Learn, Survive.

• Dagmar

May 18, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Three more words to put a positive spin on ALS: Assert Lean-in Show up.

I quickly realized that I needed to become an assertive patient. Not only asking for help but also when speaking to my neurologist and clinic staff. Leaning-in was my mental reminder to prepare for possible changes (have a rollator, install grab bars, etc.) and to accept them when needed. Finally, showing up means engage with others, participate in the day, accept invitations – – everything opposite of withdrawing and isolation.

• cheryl-a-kuhtz

May 19, 2020 at 4:06 pm

A-accept

L-learn

S-shift

• Dagmar

May 19, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Bravo Cheryl!

I like your 3 words! 🙂

• molly-ann-mahoney

May 24, 2020 at 5:27 pm

I’m five months into the ALS world.  My words are:

Attitude

Live

Serenity

I strive to keep a positive attitude and live each day as best I can, focusing on abundance — the things I can do for others and for myself.  Each night just before sleep, I write 3 to 5 brief sentences in my grateful journal.   This ends each day with positive thoughts (and helps me to sleep).  Daily meditation helps me live in the ‘now’, and brings serenity and peace, replacing anxiety and fear.

• Dagmar

May 24, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Wonderful Molly! Those are great words…. we share the same life attitude and I do evening gratitudes as well 🙂

• diana-belland

May 25, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Dagmar, your Assert Lean-in Show Up words were a welcome reminder to me to do whatever I can to stay connected to others and to a sense of purpose during this protracted period of “social distancing.”

One of my favorites is your Always Learn Something.   I find each day goes a little better if I spend a bit of time with an interesting book or watch an online lecture.

My three words are Accept Love Share.   Accept myself as I am; show my love and gratitude to friends and family; share whatever strengths I have to try to support others in the challenges they face.

• Dagmar

May 25, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Another set of winner-words! Thank you Diana 🙂

Your “Accept-Love-Share” can be used as a morning mantra – – and I for one, certainly will remember to say them tomorrow morning! 🙂