• Medicare

Posted by Amanda on May 15, 2019 at 10:57 pm

pALS and their families need to know how to get the support they need in order to stay healthy and avoid stress. This can be difficult when you are trying to navigate the medicare system,  Rick Jobus, an writer for ALS News Today discusses how Home Health care varies depending on where you live in the article https://alsnewstoday.com/2019/05/15/revisiting-medicare-coverage-home-healthcare

If you are struggling getting the Medicare coverage you need, read this article. Rick provides information  on how the services differ based on the region you live in. He also encourages people to get involved and advocate for pALS. He states, “Two additional strategies are consistent with this month’s theme of ALS awareness. One is to rally your social network to petition your congressional representative(s), in volume, for assistance. A second would be to secure media attention. Local television news producers seemingly are hungry for “feel good” items where the programming aids in rectifying an injustice.

John Russell replied 4 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dagmar

May 17, 2019 at 8:13 pm

A good companion article is the one Rick wrote about a year ago. Here he describes how Medicare pays for his 28 hours a week of home health care services. Medicare has specific criteria and hoops to jump through, but Rick is open and helpful with his “how to.”

How Medicare will Cover Home Healthcare

If you encounter resistance from Medicare, then refer to his 2019 column linked in Amanda’s post above.

• John Russell

May 22, 2019 at 11:50 am

A big thank you to Rick Jobus. I just printed the article Rick wrote today to keep for future reference.

I have no caregiver since my wife is in late stage Parkinson’s. So far I am handling my personal care but have been constantly concerned about the future thinking I would be paying a caregiver’s salary.  Medicare looks difficult but not impossible.

Thanks again for reducing my stress, Rick.