Tagged: , , ,

• MLB Lou Gehrig

Posted by Amanda on June 1, 2021 at 1:58 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/sports/baseball/lou-gehrig-day.html

Lou Gehrig was an amazing baseball player and an inspiration to Americans. He was strong, noble, quiet and respected by the public and his peers. When he gave his speech, The Luckiest Man Alive, he was certainly talking about all the things he had experienced prior to him having ALS. Lou Gehrig died June 2, 1941, approximately 2 years after being diagnosed with ALS.

Lou Gehrig has been one of my favorite sports heros. I think it is wonderful that the MLB is hosting a day to named in his honor to help raise awareness and fund to fight the disease that took him as such a young age.

What other sports heros had ALS?

richardhasals replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • richardhasals

June 1, 2021 at 3:53 pm

Here’s idea…

Since baseball has about 500 million fans world wide and soccer has over 3 billion fans world wide, how about selecting a soccer star with ALS and have a day for him?

Why just baseball? Or just soccer?  All sports should have an ALS day!

Richard

• richardhasals

June 1, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Is June 2nd the best day to highlight ALS awareness?

I would pick a summer day (kids out of school) and on a weekend.  I would believe you’d get a bigger TV audience and possibly more ALS awareness.

Richard

Note:

June 2 is the day in 1925 that Gehrig began his record-breaking consecutive games streak.