ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Mobility Scooters

• Mobility Scooters

Posted by Dagmar on May 1, 2019 at 4:00 am

Freedom of movement – walking, going up and down stairs, getting off the floor, completing daily activities, exercising—these are just a few of the activities that many of us take for granted and are able to perform without limitation. As walking becomes more limited due to increased weakness, decline in balance, or changes in respiratory status, a transport chair or scooter can be used for mobility, especially when going longer distances or in the community.

I initially balked at using a mobility scooter. I thought the store-provided shopping scooters looked bulky, everyone would stare at me and… I would run over people, pets and store displays! Now that I own a scooter, (none of that happened) I’ll admit that they can be “wheelie fun” – – and useful.

Here are two columns I wrote about my adventures with my mobility scooter:

Give a Scooter a Try: It Can Be Wheelie Fun

Adventures with My Mobility Scooter 

Do you use a mobility scooter and, how has it helped you? Or, are you thinking about buying one? If so, what questions do you have?

John Russell replied 4 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • John Russell

May 1, 2019 at 12:46 pm

I recently bought a small power chair for myself.  I couldn’t face the monster my PT said insurance would want prescribed so I searched the web.  I came up with the Jazzy Air.  It cost $3800.  I found Mark’s Mobility in FL. they told me the chair had been redesigned to lower it 1 in. and give it a rise of 2 more in. but if the old design was OK I could have it for $2800.  They would set it up with the correct seat, assemble and test it put it on a truck and get it to me in northern NY free! I gave my Visa cd. and in 7 days had it. Right off the truck I got on the chair powered up and rode off, never needed a single adjustment.

I have very long practically useless legs. I can’t get on or off a scooter my chair goes up & down 10 in. at the touch of a button. I can reach high & low. I can also be at eye level in a conversation where others are standing. It turns 360 deg. in less than 30 “.  I love this thing. My worry is using it too muc and not keeping after my legs.